Job ID :
China - Shanghai
- Lead Product Development Organization comprised of Engineers, Project Managers, Scientists to develop products with key features and capability designed for the China market. Current structure includes the following teams and Managers:
- Core Engineering Teams—with sub-teams in EE, ME, SE, Software/Firmware. This is the largest team, with about 35 people. These engineers may be flexibly configured onto a wide variety of projects, serving various markets and internal Business Units.
- Platform Engineering Teams—These are more dedicated teams, serving businesses which have a roadmap and sustained investment in CIC and our China Factory (CMC)
- Customization Teams—dedicated teams that customize our existing products to specific configurations that best suit the performance needs of important customers in China. We have three teams.
- Bioproduction Media Optimization service for vaccine and bio-therapeutics
- Custom Gas Chromatography for oil, gas, and petrochemical industry in China.
- Custom Cloud Computing Solutions for large life-science customers in China
- Project Management Team—About 6 Professional Project Managers
- China Solutions Team—This team develops and defines the opportunities in the project portfolio, and is comprised of people with experience in business and science/engineering.
- Bridge the needs and perspectives of External Key Stakeholders at high level. Reconcile their different needs and perspectives relative to each other and relative to CIC’s base of capability and capacity for project execution:
- Division presidents and Division R&D leadership on projects, opportunities, and resources.
- China Commercial Leaders
- Key Customers
- Uphold Key businesses processes for CIC as a part fo the company:
- Annual Operating Plan
- Annual Human Resource Review
- Annual Strategy
- Monthly and Quarterly Business Reviews
- Key Development Processes: Responsible for flexible rigor in project execution as the product and opportunity may require, and two ends of the spectrum, and in-between:
- Stage-Gate design-controlled development projects as would be suitable for class 1 medical device development.
- Quick customization and modification done in less formal and very rapid way
- Must have 10+ years of experience in development of new products , preferably for products of a scientific usage.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English. Additional skill in Mandarin is greatly preferred.
- 5+ years of management experience in Research & Development, preferably with multiple teams
- Multiple instances of involvement and responsibility for end-to-end product development, beginning with basic needs and requirements and concluding with product launch.
- Strong orientation toward Stage-Gate Development processes and understanding of the intent and purpose of each part of the process; and ability to use that understanding to know when/where/how to take risks and when/where not to take risks with for the sake of execution speed, or team performance.
- Basic understanding and many cycles of exposure to Professional Project Management (e.g. PMBOK, or PACE)
- 3+ years of ownership of budgeting process and financial accountability for project outcomes.
- Graduate Degree (Masters or Ph.D) in Engineering Discipline with background study pertaining to Science; or in a Science Discipline, followed by regular engagement with Engineering disciplines and/or leadership of Engineering teams.
- We are looking for evidence that the candidate never stops learning, possesses an active, curious mind, and an expansive base of knowledge.
- Formal training in business areas such as Finance, Marketing, or General Management.
- Familiarity with Chinese Language and Culture
- Living in China
- Interacting with Chinese customers
Targeted Personal Attributes and Behaviors:
- Cultural Bridge: Should be a person who can bridge between eastern and western cultures, between technical and non-technical leaders, between R&D and other functions.
- Positive Energy: Should possess an obvious personal drive to succeed, should push and pull entire organization forward, and motivate employees as they engage in projects.
- Thoroughness and Speed: Should aspire to both, demonstrate both, and help employees to strike correct balance between thoroughness and speed.
- Inspiring Leader: Should have very approachable style and be open and accessible by employees who come with good news and with bad news. Should identify top performing employees and stay very close to them.
- Credible Voice Should carry the scientific reputation of ThermoFisher Scientific to customers, commercial leaders, China Leadership team, and others in the region. Should help everyone to find creative ways to pull forward the best opportunities.
- Recruiting Magnet: Should represent a personal and positive example of why any talented engineer or scientist would want to come and work for Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Communication: Should have mature communication style using modern modes and tools of communication.
- Idea Scout: Should continually seek and pursue new ideas for products, technologies, resources, talent, applications, approaches, and processes.
- Disciplined Risk Taker: Should demonstrate personal drive toward taking and managing the best risks that are available, making commitments, and holding himself/herself accountable for outcomes.