When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Molecular Biology Scientist I is in support of R&D and Pharmaceutical NGS and qPCR testing as it applies to molecular oncology. This position requires the scientist to be reliable and self sufficient to run projects in support of Next Generation Sequencing Division and external partnerships. The Molecular Biology Scientist I will be required to execute on day to day testing, validations, assist with research and development of assays, draft protocols, train lab personnel, and assess assay performance. The Molecular Biology Scientist I is expected to perform all steps in NGS testing to include but not limited to: DNA and RNA extractions, quantitation, qPCR, NGS, and data analysis.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory analyses involving sample receiving and processing
- Ensures instruments and equipment in the lab are functioning properly and maintained by performing or arranging scheduled maintenance in a timely manner
- Utilizes good documentation practices (GDPs) and follows laboratory quality control and quality assurance policies
- Evaluates and Interprets laboratory results
- Performs quality testing on new reagents prior to use
- Complies with Life Technologies Clinical Services Lab safety policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- A BA/BS degree in a science discipline
- Minimum experience in qPCR
- Preferred experience in NGS
- Use of computer systems for data entry, retrieval, and analyses involving word processing programs, spreadsheets containing data analyses, and complex computer driven instrumentation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to problem solve highly complex analyses
- Strong understanding of good laboratory practices and regulatory compliance
- May handle highly infectious agents and hazardous chemicals.
- Sit or stand for long periods of time while using equipment and specimen handling and/or for computer work.
- Bend or twist to reach into lower cabinets and drawers and squat or kneel to remove or store supplies stored on lower shelves.
- Stretch or over-the-head arm movements to reach into high cabinets and shelves to remove or store supplies.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Visual requirements to distinguish colors for analysis; and auditory requirements to hear timers on equipment.
- Fine hand manipulation is required to operate equipment, manipulate and pipette specimens.
- Work is mainly laboratory-based with some time spent in the office writing up experiments, validation documents, and standard operating procedures
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.