Job Title: Senior Corporate Counsel
Reports To: Division President
Position Location: Center Valley, PA. Will consider other locations: Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Research Triangle Park.
The BioPharma Services Division (BSD) of Thermo Fisher Scientific is focused on providing end to end clinical trial solutions for our customers. We don’t specialize in any particular therapy – we support them all. Our customers range from small biotech/pharmaceutical startups to large pharmaceutical companies who focus on R&D and prefer to outsource supporting services for the execution of clinical trials across the globe. We have the industry’s largest global footprint of FDA cGMP facilities and regional hubs strategically located around the globe so we can be where our customers need us - we provide the full suite of services in each of those hubs so that we can get the right medication to the right patient on time.
The Senior Corporate Counsel will serve as the Corporate Counsel for the BioPharma Services Division (BSD) of Thermo Fisher Scientific. The Senior Corporate Counsel will provide senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, oversee all legal compliance and regulatory requirements and oversee the work of outside counsel. This executive will also lead the contracting process for internal and external customers regarding contract management, including contract negotiations and compliance. The Senior Corporate Counsel will be directly involved in complex business transactions and in negotiating critical contracts, lease agreements as well as leading risk management efforts on behalf of the division. This executive will have global interactions with customers and internal colleagues with respect to customer contract negotiations and the handling of various other legal and regulatory matters that impact the BioPharma Services Division, including litigation, labor, risk management and intellectual property matters. The Senior Corporate Counsel will report directly to the President of the BioPharma Services Division with a strong matrix reporting relationship to the VP and General Counsel of the Customer Channel Group within Thermo Fisher Scientific. The headquarters of the BioPharma Services Division is in Center Valley, PA.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the BioPharma Services Division conducts its business in compliance with federal, state, local and international laws and regulations
- Ensure the division’s compliance with GMP regulations enforced by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and its counterpart international agencies
- Represent the BioPharma Services Division on legal and regulatory matters
- Manage a global team of legal and contracts professionals
- Prepare and negotiate transaction documents and represent the company in strategic transactions
- Negotiate and administer complex contracts in accordance with organizational and departmental policies and procedures
- Lead, collaborate, and/or serve as Executive Sponsor regarding divisional projects related to legal, compliance and/or regulatory matters
- Perform risk assessments of proposed terms and conditions of complex contracts and work with the business leads to develop recommendations to minimize their potential risk to the business
- Work with the appropriate executives(s) and outside counsel to define strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes, where warranted
- Advise on and participate in acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and strategic investments, coordinating with internal and external legal personnel, regulatory, risk management and operating business resources
- Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor from accredited university
- 15+ years of business experience, including commercial law experience and managing commercial contracts
- Broad knowledge and experience working in the pharmaceutical industry or similar contract manufacturing/supply chain solution provider
- License to practice law
- Experience managing a global team of contracts and legal professionals
- Experience managing global contract negotiations engaging directly with customers
- Customer centric and customer focused approach in supporting both external and internal customers while protecting the best interest of the company
- Knowledge of and experience with GMP regulations and compliance
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside attorneys, senior management and business associates
- Excellent leadership skills with demonstrated ability to effectively lead global teams in a changing environment
- Demonstrated history of experience managing and developing other attorneys, contract managers and support staff, as well as experience with cost effective management with of outside legal resources
- Ability to operate within a matrixed management environment
- Excellent verbal/written communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to deliver strong results with limited resources, under tight deadlines and with a high degree of accuracy
- Skilled in planning and organizing.
- Skilled in exercising initiative, sound judgment, problem-solving, decision-making
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical reports and documentation