Pushing the boundaries of discovery
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, our company enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and supports\\ the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of 3200 people is dedicated to customers' pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired FEI Company in September of 2016 as a part of the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) in the newly-formed Materials and Structural Analysis Division (MSD).
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes. These high-end tools are being produced and developed at our site in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- FEI’s corporate organizationhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
- Inside the FEI Titan Transmission Electron Microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- How to make a microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
- the installation of a Thalos atb the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /
To be an outstanding R&D organization committed to our customers success by providing world-class solutions to challenges at the nanoscale. We are devoted to bringing leading technologies to markets with the highest quality products and services.
R&D Manager Detection is responsible for managing the activities of cross-functional R&D and engineering disciplines in the achievement of robust, industry-leading products. The principal focus of this role is managing the successful execution of development projects covering backscatter electron detection, X-ray detection and other novel types of detection subsystems as integral part of a Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) system. The development projects cover all aspects of the subsystem, both HW & SW design, implementation, system integration and test according to customer specifications.
Key interactions will be required with various groups (i.e., marketing, internal and external subsystem vendors, mechanical, electrical, applications).
Responsibilities and deliverables include:
- Manage the execution of the detection roadmap and the respective development and delivery of detection subsystems according to a concrete schedule.
Managing as line manager the detection group consisting of 6 members (further growing)
Lead the technical teams through the entire design cycle including requirements generation, design and implementation, verification & validation up to release.
- Implement rigorous review processes and set clear expectations around the key deliverables of technology programs. Hold internal and external vendors accountable to specifications and timelines through rigorous project reviews, adherence to the Product Management Proces and defined delivery schedules.
- Develop and implement analytical rigor in systems and requirements analysis.
Effectively negotiate engineering requirements with cross-functional teams including sales and marketing, applications engineering, manufacturing and field service.
- Work closely with Product Marketing to develop a robust and integrated product roadmaps.
- Provide technical and management leadership and mentorship for high-potential individuals.
- Contribute to the engineering budgeting process by providing rigorous financial/budgetary analysis and recommendations for projected systems development/design, enhancements/upgrades, manpower and prototype development.
- Analyze how key subsystems can be designed for and reused in next-generation products and influence development processes along these lines.
- Contribute to COGS reduction by conducting relevant analytical procedures and recommendations.
- Work with other Engineering Management to conceive and implement a more robust platform development methodology and process. Encourage and implement resource sharing and development across current and next-generation platforms.
- Drive reliability improvements.
- Ability to manage staff, assign specific duties, and create a constructive and cooperative working relationship.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires a University Degree in related technical field required. Advanced University Degree in related discipline preferred. PhD in these disciplines and significant prior design experience preferred.
- Typically requires 10 years proven experience in systems or subsystems design experience of highly-integrated, high-performance capital equipment systems, low-vacuum system design, electron optics and/or FIB system design.
- Typically requires 5 years management experience in directing engineering programs or development teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex engineering programs/projects through a defined and rigorous product management process.
- Proven ability to build consensus among key stakeholders that may not be under your management control.
All experience may have been gained concurrently.
Location of the position
· FEI is located in Eindhoven, The Netherlands
· Limited international travel is part of this position