When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Technology Development/Special Project (TDSP) Senior Manager is responsible for technology development and also Special Projects that are in the Environmental and Process Monitoring’s (EPM) Stage Gate system, and supports them by providing expertise in analytical and physical instrumentation. The TDSP Manager responsibilities include managing a 4 to 10 member team of project managers, technicians, scientists, and engineers, as well as contributing in a technical role. This position provides scientific and engineering assistance for certain projects prior to entering formal product development and also works with the NPI Senior Manager on special projects that require additional resources/expertise. The candidate is expected to mentor, lead, and provide direction/supervision to project managers as well as technicians and other members of the R&D and Engineering organization.
• Manage technology development teams to implement development and test plans for specific projects
• Provide performance evaluation assessments/direction of team members during PMD process
• Work to commercialize new technologies
• Evaluate existing technologies for use in new applications
• Work with partners to transfer technology from external sources, such as academic laboratories, to the company’s development process
• Help design and direct laboratory and field experiments to evaluate performance of new designs
• Work with internal and external customers to help resolve customer questions or problems regarding analyzer performance or suitability for specific applications
• Work with Marketing and R&D to develop new product concepts and propose solutions to difficult challenges
• Participate in the documentation of new products
• Work with intellectual property specialists to develop patent protection for new designs and technologies
• Conduct regularly scheduled group meetings
• Holds responsibility for planning and meeting schedules on development projects
• Acts as a visionary thinker and participates with other senior managers to establish organizational strategic plans, objectives and processes
• Continual evaluation and improvement of NPD process
• Participates in Practical Process Improvement events
• Maintain a safe working environment, following established procedures.
• Balances concern for costs and profit while focusing on customer satisfaction
• Advanced degree in Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, or Engineering, or equivalent expertise, experience and training.
• 10+ years experience in product development or technology development roles, 5+ years management experience
• Experience designing, implementing and testing instrumentation
• Strong core knowledge of common analytical techniques, such as absorption spectroscopy.
• Knowledge of, and experience with, the application of instrumentation to environmental and/or process monitoring
• Planning capability and financial acumen
• Leadership/decision making and project management skills
• Ability to influence others to reach agreement and gain consensus
• Excellent communication, computer, reporting, and analytical skills
• Chemistry knowledge a plus
• Can resolve wide ranges of issues in creative ways
• Strong work ethic and organizational skills
• Experience with, or knowledge of, basic manufacturing documentation requirements preferred
• Experience in Practical Process Improvement (PPI) or equivalent continual improvement process such as six sigma preferred
• Experience with intellectual property issues and patent application process is preferred.
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.