Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and more than 55,000 employees globally. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity.Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Job Title: Technical Specialist
Reports To: Support Manager
Group/Division: Chromatograhy & Mass Spectrometry Division/ Chromatography Consumables
Career Band: 5
Job Track: Professional / R&D
Position Location: Runcorn
Number of Direct Reports: 0
The business segment manufactures and supplies chromatography consumables. These products are sold to a world-wide market predominantly made up of pharmaceutical companies, universities, hospitals, government institutions and a wide range of industrial companies in varying fields of activity.
The Company’s growth relies upon maintaining a high level of scientific credibility. Applications and technical support play an important role in terms of determining customer perception and demonstrating the capability of the product range.
Strong technical support is a key differentiator for our products and services in the marketplace.
The job holder is responsible for developing and delivering applications and technical support services by providing technical information regarding the application of the LC, Bio LC, GC, Sample Handling and Sample Preparation products. The full range of products needs to be supported in a professional manner and this will entail a small amount of travel on Company business.
- To demonstrate a strong customer focus in all our activities
- To support the business unit, product managers, operations team, commercial team, dealer network and end users in a specific focus area (either LC, Bio LC, GC, SP or SH)
- To work with key customers on collaborative projects either in-house or at the customer’s location
- To generate and present training seminars to the commercial team, dealer network and end users, promoting the scientific capabilities of the Company and its products
- To prepare and present scientific posters at exhibitions and symposia and write and prepare seminars in order to raise the profile of the Company and its’ products
- To support customers by providing an effective technical support enquiry service to answer enquiries on product selection, product care and use and techniques during business core hours
- Responsibility for day to day management of the technical support process (including documentation, implementation, associated metrics, dissemination of information to worldwide technical support departments)
- Ensure global compliance to the technical support process as detailed in associated departmental procedures and ensure best practice is adopted worldwide
- To regularly critically assess the effectiveness of the technical support service and report out CAS metric to the wider team
- Build/maintain a good working relationship with peers carry out technical support worldwide
- To develop and maintain online tools to enable customers to find technical information easily
- To support an effective technical customer complaint service
- Responsibility for day to day management of the complaint process (including documentation, implementation, associated metrics, dissemination of information to worldwide technical support departments)
- Ensure global compliance to the complaint investigation process as detailed in associated departmental procedures and ensure best practice is adopted worldwide
- Build/maintain a good working relationship with peers carry out complaint investigation worldwide and ensure well managed complaint workload for those involved in EU
- Work with peers in apps team to assist complaint resolution
- To support the activities associated with timely and satisfactory resolution of customer issues including complaints investigation
- To rigorously investigate root cause of complaints and work with factories to identify preventative actions
- Work with Quality engineers and CCS BU sites to ensure preventative actions are carried out where appropriate
HSE and Additional duties
- (HSE) To comply with responsibilities outlined in the H&S policy
- (HSE/IP) To maintain detailed records of all work carried out in lab books which are maintained as the Company’s intellectual property
- (General) To communicate relevant observations on data produced
- (General) To calibrate, test and verify the ability of new equipment to satisfactorily perform its designated function.
- (General) To carry out any other duties as reasonably requested by the line manager
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Degree in Chemistry or a related science
- Second language, proficient spoken/written preferable
- Detailed understanding of working with Sample preparation or HPLC or LC-MS, or GC or GC-MS and associated techniques
- The ability to work on own initiative and to meet deadlines and targets
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- A good level of interpersonal, motivational and organisational skills
- A good knowledge of Health & Safety regulations and COSHH requirements