Installation & Operations Support Engineer
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 54,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life
sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our four premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Life Technologies, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
From providing a single product to a complete enterprise laboratory supply program, Thermo Fisher Scientific offers an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. Visit www.thermofisher.com
XPS and the East Grinstead Facility:
The position is based in our facility in East Grinstead, West Sussex, from which it has developed, designed and manufactured XPS instrumentation for customers worldwide for 50 years. XPS is a technique used in the analysis of the surface of solids, based around the illumination of the surface with X-rays and measuring the energy of ejected electrons (see XPS-simplified.com). Instruments are based around Ultra High Vacuum (UHV) technology, and incorporate Electron Optics, HV electronics and advanced datasystems.
Job Title: Installation & Operations Support Engineer
Reports To: Installation & Operations Support Manager
Group/Division: M S D
Career Band: JA 5
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: East Grinstead
Ability to Travel: Required
Number of Direct Reports: 0
The role is within the Customer Support Department, which oversees the installation and service and Thermo Fisher Scientifics’ Surface Analysis products worldwide. The department has service groups in the US and Europe and supports engineers in these territories as well as others worldwide, carries out service work for customers directly and covers many other support related functions. This role involves the installation of our products worldwide, support of our operations staff within the Brno facility as well as other tasks relating to the department.
In this new role the Installation & Operations Support Engineer will have the following responsibilities and duties as part of the team.
For the Installation part of the role :
- Carry out installation of instruments and upgrades at customers sites in territories not covered by TFS service teams
- Carry out installation of instruments and upgrades in other territories as required
- Provide start-up training of customers following installations
- As part of the installation teams, take ownership of the installation process, identification of improvements to the process and updating associated documentation.
For the Operations Support part of the role :
- Provide Tier 2 support for operations at our manufacturing facilities at Brno in the Czech Republic. This will be both from East Grinstead and on occasion be from our manufacturing facilities at Brno.
- Provide the same for our sub-contractors to ensure quality and throughput of product, as required.
- Work closely with these departments, as well as Product Managers, Development and Engineering, to improve quality and drive process improvements.
Managing and owning the process for upgrades, component packages and item repairs including:
- definition of the content of what can be offered as a component, upgrade and repaired.
- ensuring packages are manufactured to quality standards at the most suitable locations (Brno, East Grinstead or Sub-Contractors)
- specifying the testing requirement, costing of the packages and documentation
- managing and owning the process of repairs of items returned from the customer, ensuring repairs are carried out to quality standards at the most suitable locations (Brno, East Grinstead or Sub-Contractors)
In the position, as a member of the Customer Support Department, the engineer will also contribute to the work of the department as a whole, and be flexible enough to be involved in other departmental duties. This may include, and not be limited to:
- Providing technical support to engineers
- Training of TFS and Agent’s engineers
- On – site service work
- Degree in physical sciences, engineering, scientific discipline or equivalent
- A sound knowledge of the physical sciences
- It is a requirement of the position to be able and willing to travel worldwide for a number of weeks at a time for on-site installations
- Good communications skills and the ability to converse with customers, in particular those whose first language is not English
- Commitment to further training and personal development
- A team player
- Demonstrated experience of working by themselves and the ability to problem solve under pressure
- PC Literacy – MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the ability to master various computer skills.
- Ability to prioritize and plan and work to deadlines
- Organized with good house-keeping skills
- High degree of reliability, flexibility and self-motivation
Advantageous Experience and Knowledge:
Previous experience in some or all of the key technologies involved in our products, XPS instrumentation, ultra high vacuum (UHV), electron optics, high voltage electronics and data systems would benefit the candidate in the role:
- Knowledge and previous hands-on experience of XPS techniques
- Experience in UHV techniques and technologies
- A track record of being able to communicate with customers, in particular those whose first language is not English
- Hands-on experience of working with electronics and fault finding
- Hand-on experience of working with mechanical instrumentation