Thermo Fisher Scientific is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and more than 55,000 employees globally. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life science research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. Thermo Fisher Scientific stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TMO.
Thermo Fisher’s Transplant Diagnostics (TDX) business, formally One Lambda was founded in 1984 by Dr. Paul Terasaki, a pre-eminent researcher in the field of transplantation. From its inception, the company has been at the forefront of transplant diagnostics and has been first to market with a number of cutting edge solutions that have helped laboratories and clinicians meet the ever increasing demands for high quality data and improved patient outcomes.
In July of 2012, One Lambda was acquired by Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science. Thermo Fisher Scientific’s global presence and extensive customer channel network have enhanced our ability to deliver our products and services to HLA laboratories worldwide. We remain committed to improving the quality of life of transplant patients and their families by developing and producing innovative, high quality HLA products for the clinical and research segments of the transplant community.
TDX is headquartered in Canoga Park, California, where most of its approximately 450 employees are located, with exception of its global sales and field application specialist who are located within our global regions. The Transplant Diagnostics business is part of Thermo Fisher’s Specialty Diagnostics Group (SDG).
The Senior Director of Finance, a key contributor to the overall success of the Transplant Diagnostics business, will provide financial and business leadership to the business as well as talent development of the finance team. This position works closely with the President and peer staff to develop and execute strategies to drive growth and profitability. The finance leader will lead and manage the finance team in all activities related to the business’s financial and accounting processes and in operating as finance business partners for internal clients.
- Full ownership of all finance and accounting activities for the business: including internal control, regular reporting and analysis.
- Act as business partner to Leadership Team, combining both support and challenge.
- Identify risks and develop mitigation strategies: to include both financial risk and business performance risk.
- Development and presentation of annual operating plans and quarterly results to corporate leadership team.
- Provide leadership to and develop the talent of the finance team, raising the bar of expectation.
- Set the example of continuous process improvement
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong conceptual and analytical orientation, as well as creative and unstructured problem-solving skills, to be able to evaluate problems and concepts from different perspectives; use data to identify key issues/opportunities and arrive at sound and logical solutions; experience preparing strategic and financial models, and identifying areas of process improvement
- Strong, persuasive communication skills to present analytical and technical information, relate well to all levels of the organization, influence others to move in a certain direction, and express ideas clearly and concisely to drive tactical initiatives downstream.
- Strong results orientation
- Ability to clearly define, lead and communicate change
- Ability to champion ideas via fact-based analysis and reasoned judgment to optimize business results
- Ability and experience working with commercial leadership to drive growth
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in finance/accounting or other business related disciplines (MBA a plus)
- 10+ of relevant experience in a complex, multinational, multi-site environment. Experience of a matrix organization and of a manufacturing environment highly desirable.
- Experience leading diverse global financial consolidations in an accurate and timely manner
- Experience with SAP, Oracle HFM and Microsoft Office tools is highly preferred
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to adapt leadership style to different situations and people as well as to a complex business structure of a diverse portfolio of products.
- Must be a business leader rather than a technical expert – this position plays an active role in leading the business, providing challenge and support in equal measure.
- Strong internal controls and technical accounting experience. Must have an outstanding attention to detail and strong process rigor.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to use those skills to influence and drive change
- Self-motivated; bias for action
- Global experience, including knowledge and experience in plant operations setting