When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Sr. Product Applications Specialist – HID Automation will help lead the global automation strategy for a portfolio of services that provide growth for the Human Identification (HID) Business Unit in the Genetic Sciences Division (GSD) of Thermo Fisher Scientific. The Sr. Product Applications Specialist - Automation is responsible for driving and executing automation service products from concept to commercialization including market analysis, service product definition, and positioning. The Sr. Product Applications Specialist - Automation is responsible for transitioning HID laboratories from manual workflows and processes on to automated robotic platforms by writing and modifying custom scripts for Applied Biosystem products on multiple vendor platforms and providing ongoing support of these systems at global customer sites. The Sr. Product Applications Specialist - Automation partners with account management and technical support to ensure a high level of customer service for automation accounts, plays an active role in the pre-sale customer qualification process and contributes to financial growth objectives for the commercial organization.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with Field and Validation Application Scientists, automation vendors and end users to develop, optimize, and implement automation technologies in support of forensic applications.
- Work closely with HID Professional Services (HPS) Technical Project Managers to facilitate the execution of automation validation projects across all global regions and assists in troubleshooting on these projects, when necessary
- Align with Product Management and outside vendors to ensure automation solutions are available for new product launches
- Develop a thorough knowledge of forensic customer segments and assess competitive landscape
- Manage relationships with forensic DNA laboratories, to offer appropriate solutions and workflows incorporating Applied Biosystems products and services, and identify opportunities for collaboration and partnership
- Foster regular communication channels and maintain close working relationships with global HPS colleagues and other HID team members (such as Product Management, Marketing, Sales, Support, Product Assurance, R&D)
- Develop and implement business strategy for automated liquid handling HID workflows
- Mentor global HPS colleagues to increase automation technical expertise across the organization
- Configure, program, and troubleshoot laboratory automated platforms
- Optimize existing automated processes to improve efficiency and throughput
- Provide support for existing equipment and coordinate vendor support, as required
- Develop, execute, and document verification plans and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for customized automation protocols
- Conducts on-site installation and web-based training.
- Coordinate cross functional teams and execute projects in a timely manner
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging laboratory automation technologies
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Detail oriented, analytical, data driven, and ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to build relationships across different business functions and business units
- A demonstrated leader through influence with strong negotiation skills
- Comfortable with making decisions with some level of uncertainty
- Passionate about challenges, problem solving, and learning new things
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, optimism and a “can do” attitude
- Is authentic, transparent and leads by example, holding self and others accountable
- Ability to present to all levels of an organization internally and externally
- B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology, chemistry, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5+ years hands on experience developing, testing, implementing, and troubleshooting liquid handling workflows.
- Proficiency in writing and optimizing standard and custom scripts on a variety of automated liquid handling platforms (e.g., Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman, etc.)
- Experience with DNA extraction, Real-time PCR, Capillary Electrophoresis and NGS methods is highly desirable
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Highly energetic and self-motivated. Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Is customer-centric and keenly aware of markets, trends, and competitors
- Ability to drive business processes or change opportunities that lead to efficiency improvements or other benefits for the business.
- Experience working in a regulated environment is highly desirable
- Excellent written and communication skills
- 70% or greater travel (domestic and international) is required on periodic basis.
- Candidate can be located anywhere in the greater US near a major airport
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com