Job ID :
US - Massachusetts - Chelmsford
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
The Water and Laboratory Product business is seeking a talented Glass Material Technologist (Applied Scientist). The ideal candidate will have skills to conceptualize, design and fabricate Scientific Glass products using variety of materials, machines and methods for new and existing applications.
What You'll Get to Do:
• Contribute your energies within an innovation team to bring disruptive new product development in the water analysis & treatment industries
• Specialize in the development of glass (scientific) sensor products using common and specialized glass working techniques.
• Expand your skills and knowledge of special techniques, design and materials science through unique sensor industry challenges.
· Knowledge of raw materials (primarily glasses & ceramics) and both production processes and Quality Control techniques for effective manufacture of Scientific Glass Products
· Conceptualize, design and document (e.g., technical drawings) scientific glass products to meet new challenges
· Apply knowledge of engineering science and technology principles, techniques and procedures to design
· Glass working skills include some or all the following:
· Operate glass saw and hot-wire cutter for raw material preparation
· Heat glass into pliable stage using gas flames or ovens and form, shape into specific configurations to meet purpose
· Incorporate wires, seals, liquids into subassemblies using gas torch, hand-tools, and vacuum pump
· Perform finishing operations to glass products using lapping / polishing wheels, spot-welding and sandblasting machines, internal-plating equipment, and drill press. Anneals products, using annealing oven
· Inspection of prototypes and products with micrometers, calipers and magnifiers for adherence to design and lab records
· Shape glass according to design requirements and patterns
· Opportunity to learn electrochemistry and colorimetry science and how the glass sensor operate
· Use Microsoft Office (Excel, Power point, Word) as needed.
· Software: Presentation, Spreadsheet, Email and ERP system e.g., SAP
· Maintain a clean laboratory and workshop space for development, test and verification purposes.
· Quick and well-coordinated in movement of the hands
· Must be able to communicate information with others verbally and in written forms such as written procedures (SOP's) and/or verbal instruction
· Must have good mathematical skills
· Maintains laboratory cleanliness at all times to minimize the risk to health and contamination of equipment.
· Travel less than 10%, possibly some global.
· 4 year degree (ie, Bachelors) in applied engineering technology with up to 3 years’ experience in high mix low volume manufacture environment is preferred. Will consider a related 2 year degree (AA or certificate) with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in high mix low volume manufacture environment.
· Experience with technical or scientific glass production.
Relocation budget may be available for this role.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.