The Lead Hand is primarily responsible for supporting stock activities (from receiving and put away to pick-to-ship) while meeting and exceeding customer expectations. Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the incumbent will contribute to the achievement of distribution objectives and the efficient movement of goods through the warehouse.
- Assist in evaluating the efficiency of work flow activating and identifying staffing needs to accomplish defined tasks. Defined tasks are related to warehouse functions within receiving, put away, picking, packing, shipping and inventory.
- Schedules and allocates work to staff based on available resources, identifies training requirements, and ensures that tasks are completed in a timely manner to accomplish daily performance objectives;
- Regularly performs all or most of the following warehouse functions: receiving, put away, picking, checking, packing, LTL packing, loading trucks, X-dock, cycle counting, bin moving, performing physical inventory count., IATA shipping.
- Investigates and resolves discrepancies around orders as required. Uses WMS and physical checks to accomplish this task.
- Spends approximately 60%-70% of the work day performing warehouse tasks, directing personnel and resolving issues and 30%-40% of the time preparing, analyzing and sending operational reports.
- Ensures that all rush orders are shipped correctly and tendered to the carrier.
- Recommends changes to the physical and virtual layout of the facility, initiates and implements ideas to aid in the continuous improvement of operations.
- Performs accident investigations as required, related to WSIB.
- Trains employees as required in warehouse functions.
- Ensures that all packaging material inventory levels are appropriate and all packaging material is stored properly.
- Advises Operations Manager of any and all employee issues.
- Opens and closes facility following safe and secure practices as required.
- Fills in for Manager as required. May be required to independently lead groups outside of regular working hours.
- May have to respond and assist in afterhours building emergencies.
- Ensures all safety precautions are observed and that employees work in a manner to prevent themselves from personal risk.
Minimum Requirements /Qualifications:
- Graduate diploma preferred.
- 5 Years of relevant warehouse experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Working knowledge of TDG, WHMIS, SOP's, IATA, and ISO.
- Able to operate all or most machinery within the warehouse.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all of the duties and responsibilities associated with it.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Thermo Fisher Scientific and in this position. All applications will be reviewed with care and selected candidates will be contacted for further assessment.