As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than USD 17 billion in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives. At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
In Finland we have around 700 employees in Joensuu and Vantaa. The Vantaa facility houses several different functions such as R&D, marketing, sales, service, logistics, quality as well as instrument and reagent manufacturing and is located close to the Vantaankoski railway station.
We are now recruiting for a Scientist (band 5) to join Pirjo Wacklin's R&D team. As a successful candidate you are a forward thinking scientist with a background in analytical chemistry and/or biosciences. Ideally you have experience in biochemistry, liquid chromatography and high resolution mass spectrometry. Experience in microbiology is beneficial. We are looking for a proactive, self driven, result oriented team player. You enjoy working with high technology products and driving multiple initiatives at the same time. You want to develop yourself and the way of working. We offer motivating and multi-divisional tasks in innovative and international working environment.
You will be an integral part of a multidisciplinary and global R&D team to develop novel LC/MS based applications for clinical microbiology market.
- Work as an integral part of a global R&D team for Thermo Fisher Scientific’s microbiology mass spectrometry program.
- Participate in operating a LC-MS laboratory, located in Vantaa, Finland.
- Execute product development process
- Conduct day-to-day laboratory analysis of samples.
- Plan and execute projects in agreement with program leadership to an agreed product specification and to ensure timely delivery of the projects.
- Coach laboratory staff within the team.
- Communicate observations and present data to a team of multidisciplinary scientists and program leadership in timely manner.
- Conduct experiments and to maintain accurate data records according to ISO13485 guidelines.
- Report in accordance with project timetables.
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. (or equivalent) degree in analytical chemistry, biochemistry or related field with some experience in LC-MS laboratory.
- Good working knowledge and hands-on experience of LC-MS analysis techniques, ideally on protein analysis.
- Hands-on experience with a variety of sample preparation techniques including cell culture and lysis.
- Previous work experience with micro-organisms and in a BSL-2 lab with potentially contagious samples.
- Good data interpretation skills in applying various bioinformatics and/or statistics software packages to MS -based data for comparison of protein profiles, protein identification, and other tasks.
- Attention to detail in setting, conducting, and documenting experiments; records keeping in compliance with company policy and regulatory requirements (CE-IVD and FDA; ISO13485).
- Critical thinking skills and making contributions to the experiment design and product development as part of a well integrated team.
- Ability to communicate efficiently with the experts in the other scientific and technical fields, and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
To apply please do so through our career page jobs.thermofisher.com. Reference is 52307BR. Please include a motivational letter and CV in English. Application deadline is August 15th. We look forward to hearing from you!