Pushing the boundaries of discovery
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, our company enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and supports\\ the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of 3200 people is dedicated to customers' pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired FEI Company in September of 2016 as a part of the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) in the newly-formed Materials and Structural Analysis Division (MSD).
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes. These high-end tools are being produced and developed in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- FEI’s corporate organizationhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
- Inside the FEI Titan Transmission Electron Microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- How to make a microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
- the installation of a Talos at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
The Advanced Technology Algorithm Group (ATAG)
Commercial success starts with great research. The global Advanced Technology (AT) group is committed to deliver excellent research that will highlight new technological breakthroughs to support our business’s current and future needs. Within the AT group, the Algorithm Group based in Eindhoven has focus on supporting the Digital Science initiatives in the company, in particular in the electron microscopy realm. We strive to create and support the technological infrastructure, both on platform and algorithm level, to become the world leader in Digital Science. This entails everything from Cloud- and supercomputing, data and processing management up until the detailed mathematics of novel image processing and deep learning algorithms. We extensively collaborate with universities and companies across the globe to reach and maintain excellence in our efforts. Our drive and passion stems from the fact that we are working on applications potentially impacting the lives and health of millions of people.
The Algorithm Group currently consists of 7 PhD level researchers.
Within Eindhoven we have a challenging position for a talented PhD with experience in image processing using Deep Learning. Experience with adjacent technologies like Cloud computing and augmented reality is a plus. Current applications that are being researched are for example (automated) cryo-tomography and single particle reconstruction, used for example in efforts trying to understand and find cures for diseases like HIV, SARS and cancer.
As Software Scientist, you will be part of an enthusiastic team. You will be responsible for the full research development cycle, from proof-of-principle up to early adopter validations in the field, and transition to the development department. Your assignment will be a mixture of the following activities:
- Initiates the design, development, execution and implementation of technology research projects, also in collaboration with external partners
- Understanding and improving upon state-of-the art image processing / deep learning algorithms (including patent generation)
- Understanding and improving upon existing software packages for specific workflows
- Hands-on development of prototype software components (on GPU, cloud based and/or FPGA based systems)
- Scouting new developments in your area of expertise
- Interact with customers (conferences and contribute to literature), as well as R&D peers
- Gain TEM microscope and Life sciences market specific domain knowledge and keep up-to-date
The ideal candidate for this position enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary, technical environment to solve complex technical (software and algorithmic) challenges. The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires a PhD degree in a relevant technical discipline.
- Experience in development of deep learning and image processing software for vision applications
- Preferably experience with Cloud computing and/or HPC platforms
- Affinity with multi-cultural environments
- Eager to learn TEM domain specific knowledge
- Good communication skills, especially in industrial-academic collaboration environments
- C++ and Python development experience
- Experience in a deep learning framework (e.g. Caffe or TensorFlow)
- CUDA experience preferred
- Object oriented programming and design patterns
- Image processing and excellent mathematical skills
- Development experience with Image processing/pattern recognition in applications
- Experience with multi-site development
- Augmented reality frameworks
- An effective team player with good communicational skills (both written and verbal) and highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Analytical view combined with pragmatic attitude (flexibility)
- Value generation mindset, getting to the essence, setting and acting according to priorities
- Result oriented
- Proactive and initiative-taking attitude
- Curious, fast learning (mostly on the job) and not afraid to innovate