R&D Scientist I in Agribusiness group. We are seeking a creative, enthusiastic, and highly-motivated individual for our Agribusiness R&D team within the Genetic, Medical & Applied Sciences Division of the Life Sciences Solutions Group at Thermo Fisher Scientific. The position will report to the Manager of the Product Development group in Austin, TX. They will be responsible for performing experimentation and reporting involved in the development and support of new and existing products . The candidate will be expected to demonstrate broad competence in standard molecular biological techniques, as well as the ability to create and maintain clearly understandable records of results and conclusions to support patent application and defense as well as other international standards (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc. as needed). We are seeking someone who can work well in a team environment. The candidate will be expected to communicate results and conclusions clearly to other members of the team as well as business partners and outside collaborators on occasion, and make contributions to scientific literature and conferences. All employees are expected to comply with company safety regulations and procedures.
- Degree in Biology-related field with 0-2 years of industrial or academic experience.
- Knowledge of or experience in sequencing, qPCR, sample prep, and analysis of nucleic acids.
- Able to follow experimental plans while also remaining perceptive to errors, inconsistencies, and/or technical issues that may arise during the execution of experiments
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret, summarize, and present scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Solid technical writing skills.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to dovetail tasks.
- Self-motivated, capable of multi-tasking, and able to meet deadlines.
- Microbiology background, esp. relating to pathogens of production animals.
- Knowledge of agricultural industry.
- Experience with statistical analysis for multifactorial testing (knowledge of JMP software a plus).
- Experience with NGS platform, esp. Ion Torrent platforms.