As our HR/ Labor Relations Manager of our Bridgewater manufacturing and distribution facility, you’ll play a critical role in aligning HR strategy to business goals. We’re committed to this goal. To help us achieve this goal, you’ll play an instrumental role. You’ll be able to apply your unique skill sets in a variety of different areas such as learning and development, labor/employee relations, onboarding, compensation, compliance and performance management. You’ll also get to showcase your abilities while working on impactful, large scale projects with the North American Human Resources team.
Influence Business Partners
- Consult with Business Unit and/or functional leaders in areas such as organizational assessment, succession planning, organizational structure, work force planning and change management in order to strengthen overall organizational capability.
- Coach functional leadership in assigned client groups on issues including application of HR policies and processes, restructuring, and complex employee issues. May coach employees on people management, career development, personal leadership, and 360 assessment.
- Frequent internal contact with non-managers and all management levels up through site leaders to exchange information, persuade/gain consensus, implement decisions and/or obtain approval.
Promote a Positive Environment for Employees
- Utilize appropriate interpretation of the union Collective Bargaining Agreement, employee engagement committee and Employee Involvement survey results to develop and roll out programs to impact engagement levels
- Provide HR solutions support, process knowledge advice and consultation to assigned client groups.
- Conduct Employee/Labor Relations investigations and provide recommendation for resolution.
- Develop and maintain positive Union/Management relations by building a trusting relationship with union leadership
- Facilitate 2nd step grievances, and represent company position at 3rd step grievances and mediations
Drive Successful Key HR Processes
- Ensure alignment of HR processes i.e. Human Resources Review (HRR), Performance Management and Development (PMD), Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR), etc. with strategic and operating goals.
- Manage the annual performance and salary reviews as well as the variable pay programs; participate in union contract negotiation procedures as appropriate.
- Collaborate with COE Process Experts to execute and implement large scale HR initiatives (i.e., roll out annual programs, new programs/policies, etc.). Conduct exit interviews, analyze data for trends, and make recommendations for change as appropriate.
- Conduct compensation analysis working with COE in regards to local compensation needs or analysis.
- Facilitate new hire orientation and conduct local on-boarding for new hires or transfers.
- Responsible for talent acquisition efforts at site level. Drive recruitment efforts within established division guidelines working with the Recruiting COE. Partner with managers in establishing hiring and compensation strategies.
Play a Role in Diverse Projects
- Participate, lead and/or manage business HR continuous improvement projects. Examples include: temporary hiring process, new hire orientation, community outreach program, union dues payment process, etc.
- Participate in the broader North America Generalist team to drive Core, Common and Consistent HR solutions such as process improvement as well as participating in other broad scale HR projects and initiatives.
- Degree in business or business related field required. Master’s degree strongly preferred. 5-7 years of experience as a senior Human Resources generalist/manager with a large, multi-national company
- Experience supporting manufacturing operations (or substantial, hourly, non-exempt population) strongly preferred.
- Union/Labor Relations experience required
- Global experience preferred
- Familiarity with complex FMLA, Worker’s Comp, STD and LTD issues
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrated success translating business strategies into organizational and HR strategies and actions.
- Comprehensive HR experience, including a complete understanding of and hands-on exposure to the full mix of HR functions in a global environment.
- Understanding of process redesign for complex, global organizations. Understanding of HR operations and the evolving HR technology landscape.
- Ability to provide concise, articulate and insightful analysis in written and verbal form, as well as translate into effective presentations.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Experience with Process Improvement approaches (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, Practical Process Improvement, etc.).
- Ability to understand real-world business issues /opportunities and determine appropriate data, metrics, and methods of analysis to use to gain required insights.
- Experience working across a complex organizational matrix. Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and have a sense of humor.
- A track record of positive results and an ability to show how his/her programs and policies have contributed to the growth and bottom line profitability of an organization while enhancing or driving cultural change. He/she should be someone who is sought out for their opinion and advice and who can forge and maintain close relationships across all constituencies.
- Effective negotiating and influencing skills.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work within a diverse, cross-functional team across multiple sites.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.