IT Infrastructure System Engineer
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. Surrounded by collaborative colleagues, you’ll have the support and opportunities that only a global leader can give you. Our respected, growing organization has an exceptional strategy for the near term and beyond. Take your place on our strong team, and help us make significant contributions to the world.
- Perform hands-on server infrastructure support in large enterprise environments (more than 50 servers) including system administration, server patching, supporting upgrades and resolution of production problems in a timely manner for operational systems.
- Highly skilled and knowledgeable in industry-standard tools, architecting systems with automation for security, scalability, reliability, and performance
- Linux system operation: account creation and administration, disk space management (LVM, VEA, ASM), package and patch installation, operating system configuration (kernel parameter changes), server builds / deployment, software installations, file system usage analysis and remediation
- Troubleshooting issues (backup failures, system accessibility problems, poor system performance, network connectivity problems, file transfer failures, high resource utilization scenarios, unanticipated system reboots, etc.)
- Maintain, upgrade, and implement improvements to the VMWare vCenter / ESXi infrastructure.
- Maintain VM templates for building servers in the virtual environment.
- Maintain backup facility / backup policy / job / tape mgmt.
- Manage available virtual and storage resources within the infrastructure environment.
- Assist with maintenance & of departmental documentation (e.g. run books, policies, procedures, processes)
- Provide off hours support as needed
- Reporting to IT Manager of infrastructure in country and align to regional GIS team
- Bachelor’s Degree (Information Technology or related is preferred but not required) or 2+ years relevant and equivalent experience
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience with Windows / Vmware /Storage /Backup administration in co-located facilities
- Experience with PKI infrastructure and certificate management
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or a Graduate technical degree
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or equivalent
- Advanced experience with:
- Windows Server administration
- Windows Server 2008R2/2012/2012R2 system administration tasks
- Standard system administrator functions such as server build outs, monitoring, patch/security updates, antivirus, backups, restores, asset management, 24X7 support, pager duty, etc.
- WSUS for patch management
- Understanding of provisioning and hypervisor platforms like VMWare to deploy virtual servers.
- Experience in security management, with systems other than Microsoft security
- Creative problem solving skills that require minimum supervisory prompting
- Documentation skills that use tools like Visio, Sharepoint, Powerpoint, Excel.
- Great communication skills both written and oral, polite and friendly manner, both written and verbal in English (need to involve regional / global team for support & project)
- Ownership of tasks and projects with 100% follow through to completion.
- Ability to follow process and create process where there is none.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.