“As a sales professional, it’s rewarding to know that by serving my customer, I am making a big difference in so many people’s lives.” -Sam, Commercial Director
Job Title: Technical Sales Specialist
Location: Field-based, USA
Division: Chromatography and Mass Spec (CMD)
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, and you’ll be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is actively seeking an experienced Technical Sales Rep to join the Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry division in the Informatics business unit. This person will provide pre-sales support for our customers working closely with our Informatics Sales team.
Manages the technical sales relationship with accounts and partners in the North American region focusing on growing current revenue streams and/or developing new revenue streams. The technical responsibility includes qualification, demonstration preparation, and delivery of demonstrations of SampleManager LIMS and associated modules, as well as delivery of roadmap discussions.
- Prepares product for demonstration in accordance with needs of prospective customers.
- Understands the generic strengths and vulnerabilities of major competitors and develops sales strategies to respond effectively with account managers.
- Ensures that the sales approach is consistent with overall technical capability.
- Works with services team to ensure implementation schedules and support activities are aligned with commitments to customers and to management.
- Builds technical relationships at multiple levels of account and across all constituents.
- Ensures that management understands technical requirements for markets and communicates to gap analysis and success criteria to development and product management.
- Responds effectively and promptly to customer requests.
- Ensures that Management is involved at critical times and during pivotal opportunities. Delegates to other departments as appropriate.
- Provides technical input to deal team calls.
- Understands business goals and evaluates and prioritizes opportunities accordingly along with account managers and Director of Sales.
- Establishes initial technical credibility with accounts.
- Qualifies potential opportunities early in the sales cycle along with account manager.
- Provides realistic estimation of demonstration preparation time.
- Responds to technical questions in RFP’s.
- Participates in regional meetings to share best practice, and assist with technical training.
- Develops and maintains demonstration systems by market.
- Allocates part of every sales call to understanding or clarify the customers’ business challenges.
- Has sufficient technical and business knowledge to present a compelling value proposition to prospects and customers.
- Uses knowledge of the competition in the sales campaign to develop technical/functionally competitive strategies.
- Collaborates with other groups within Thermo Scientific Informatics to implement appropriate strategies to address opportunities and overcome obstacles.
- Communicates with Product Management and Development to provide field (customer) input on product features and feature prioritization requirements during product operational review meetings
- Communicates regularly with the account team to ensure that they are informed on significant product developments and customer issues.
- 3+ yrs of SampleManager LIMS experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to successfully perform product demonstrations and product configuration
- Ability to manage technical expectations
- Must be able to travel at least 50%, including overnight travel