Position Summary: Unity Lab Services, a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides a broad portfolio of services to research, production, and clinical customers across all industries. These services include instrument and equipment service, asset management programs, chemical and consumable supply management solutions, and laboratory support services.
This is a field based position that works at customer sites to ensure customer satisfaction by providing installation qualification, operational qualification and performance qualification (temperature mapping), that keeps equipment operating safely and reliably. Provides generalist level support to one or more Thermo product lines or applications. Actively promotes service offerings, new products, and upgrades
- Performs technical diagnosis of operational problems and repairs/calibrations on wide range of laboratory equipment to ensure that the equipment is operating to the customer’s complete satisfaction and manufacture specifications. May include running the necessary experiments and/or coordinate among the in-house and outside experts to reach a resolution.
- Performs technical evaluations on product changes and on new products, including software verification, collection of performance data, assessment of user friendliness, ease of maintenance, etc. Provide written reports on evaluations.
- In addition to training end users and distributors, serves as a source of technical product knowledge and trains, as required, other service engineers and provides supervision as required in the course of this duty.
- Conduct validation or qualification tests of new or existing equipment, or software in accordance with internal protocols or external standards
- Prepare detailed reports based on results of validation and qualification tests.
- Enters various types of data (i.e. service log, invoicing, knowledge retention, etc.) into computer system
- Ensures customer satisfaction through excellence in repair and support of customers’ products.
- Maintains communication with customer to ensure understanding of status, cost, and timing of all aspects of the service event.
- Provides courteous and knowledgeable response to technical issues, meeting commitments in a timely manner.
- Serves as a customer advocate and ensures that technical issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Manages escalation of unresolved technical issues to Technical Support
- Supports the Quality System and Quality Policy by following procedures/work instructions and creating records to meet the requirements of the Quality System Regulation and ISO registration.
- Maintains spare parts inventory, tools, manuals and test equipment.
- Maintains records of all service events per organizational policy.
- Promotes and sells various types of extended warranty/PM contracts on equipment, user training, and Service Replacement Orders.
- Advises sales representatives of potential selling opportunities within accounts
- ISO 17025 and related compliance knowledge
- Working knowledge of temperature mapping (Kaye system)
- 3 years of related experience
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in instrumentation and electronics
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual a plus not required.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Up to 10% domestic travel
- Ability to work overtime and/or outside regular business hours, and/or on-call work
- Regularly lift and/or carry up to 30 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or carry 75+ pounds
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Experience supporting laboratory equipment (may include, but not limited to, centrifuges, incubators, refrigeration, ultra low freezers).
Typical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual a plus not required. Demonstrated organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Strong inter-personal, self-motivational, & negotiating skills
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or carry up to 30 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 75+ pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Specific job duties that require the physical demands itemized above include driving to a customer site, talking to customers on the phone and in person, working on customer equipment, reading schematics, repairing instrumentation, reading color coding on resistors, writing service reports and expense reports, and installing instrumentation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to environments that may contain toxic or caustic chemicals and the risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, risk of radiation, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.