When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, and you will be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you will find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Frederick, Maryland site is currently seeking a Scientific I, Formulation to join our team!
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of scientific principles, biology (hepatic preferred)
- Ability to perform routine tasks accurately and efficiently
- Perform tissue perfusion and isolation of cells from whole and partial organs
- Culture and maintain cells using aseptic technique
- Operate manual and automated laboratory equipment
- Perform mathematical calculations routinely (e.g. viability, concentration and density)
- Record information accurately into various electronic databases (e.g. raw and calculated data, inventory transfers, routing hours)
- Review data, recognize and report inconsistencies to supervisor
- Troubleshoot and think critically
- Understand and apply good documentation practices consistently when documenting work
- Perform miscellaneous / other duties as assigned
- Communicate effectively with supervisor to ensure expectations, progress, and results are clearly understood. Must be able to work well with a variety of scientists/technicians
- Ability to follow and implement Thermo Fisher Scientific policies and Standard Operating Procedures
- Follows Thermo Fisher safety guidelines
- Bachelor or Advanced degree in scientific field required
- Minimum of 0-2 years related experience
- Aseptic Technique required
- Must be customer focused, able to work under pressure with team
- Anticipate needs and problems while creating solutions
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, contagious optimism and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Proven ability to consistently and independently follow policies and procedures; written and verbal instruction, and to meet schedules required.
- Working knowledge of business computer software with logistics related databases desired and ERP systems experience.
- Strong organizational, record-keeping, and data analysis skills.
- Cell Culture experience
- Some rodent handling and procedural experience
Nature and Scope:
This position interacts with equivalent levels of internal personnel. That interaction requires good communication skills and customer service skills. Effectiveness in this role also requires functional knowledge of cell culture, small animal handling, cryopreservation processes, media and reagent preparation, work order creation, entry and closure, and good documentation practices (GDP). The job encounters recurring work situations of a routine nature where the ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is required. Accuracy is required in performing all functions of this position; errors in work could cause delays in schedules. This position requires the individual to be ready to start work on-time daily. Unplanned unapproved “missed-time” is required to be less than 2% annually. The incumbent normally receives general instruction on routine work, detailed instruction on new assignments.
Works in a laboratory environment and may operate under various temperatures up to ten hours per day. May work in a standing position for extended periods of time. May handle potentially hazardous materials (chemical, biological). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must be agreeable to work any shift (with advance notice of shift change). Must be flexible to work varying schedules, hours, and overtime as needed. The nature of the operation’s working environment is conducive to varying degrees of stress throughout the day. The physical and emotional demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.