When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Directly manage a team of bioinformatics scientists
- Participate in successful launch of products from conception, innovation through product development and validation.
- Perform PCR primer design to design targeted sequencing panels for external and internal researchers using existing pipelines and tools
- Develop, maintain, and execute bioinformatics pipelines for assay design, data mining and sequence analysis.
- Assess the designs by analysis of the sequencing data obtained. And develop algorithms, optimized parameters, and heuristic rules to improve the assay design pipeline and/or implement new design algorithms
- Curate sequence data and mine public databases for sequence content periodically
- Work closely with internal and external collaborates to define requirements for the assays, set timelines and do design review.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Molecular Biology, Genomics, or similar. MS and equivalent experience will be considered.
- Experience with multiple complete product development life cycles from concept to development and product testing and final release. Demonstrated ability to lead projects and successfully deliver results on time and with high quality.
- Previous experience leading a team.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience is required; industry preferred
- Demonstrated scientific background in genomics, as shown by publications, patents, or product development.
- An excellent understanding of genomics, molecular biology, and common biological techniques like PCR and next-generation sequencing.
- Strong general bioinformatics skills. Hands-on experience with sequence analysis tools (e.g. Blast, bowtie, etc.) and excellent understanding of genomic databases and their annotations (GenBank, RefSeq, ENSEMBL, dbSNP, UCSC genome browser).
- Proficient in Perl/Python, shell scripting, Linux and SQL
- Experience performing PCR primer design to design targeted sequencing panels for external and internal researchers using existing pipelines and tools
- Understanding of assay design, experience working in cancer biology or disease research or metagenomics; customer facing experience are all highly advantageous.
- Expertise in mining public databases for sequence, annotation content
- Expertise in sequence analysis tools for mapping and comparative genomics
- Experience analyzing next generation sequencing data
- Understanding of the biology behind genotyping, gene expression profiling, comparative genomics and genetic mapping; an appreciation of the use of statistical methods and mathematical models in the interpretation of biological data.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.