Job Title: European Sales Director, Industry Group Academic
Reporting To: Vice President, Sales, RSD Europe
Location: Loughborough – Remote - UK (Preferred Location) or Europe - Remote
Requisition ID: 54519BR
As European Sales Director, you will manage Industry Directors (IDIR) with responsibility for the segment and all account management activity in segment program accounts across Europe.
- In conjunction with VP Commercial Operations set and achieve or exceed sales and (substitute profit with margin) profit targets for allocated industry segment by driving delivery share of wallet, new business opportunities and portfolio development in Program Accounts. Segment average sales revenue level approximately $100m.
- Ensure Industry Directors individual account strategy and activity is aligned with overall segment strategy, focuses on overall value proposition and is at a strategic level.
- Maintain direct relationships with large customers within segment at highest levels, securing long term commitment to RMD and TMO, overseeing RFP process for Program Accounts and driving RFP avoidance strategies through Industry team. Lead business development activities within allocated segment.
- Drive overall business strategy for segment; coordinate with Marketing on segment dynamics and trends, overall strategy and resulting value proposition and with Pricing on market dynamics affecting pricing strategy for large customers in the segment; evaluate margin and profitability of Industry directors customer base and provide recommendations.
- Ensure Industry directors are coordinating with field sales resources to ensure tactical execution at the program accounts, driving profitable sales growth and various sales initiatives. Work closely with Regional VPs to achieve complete alignment of revenue and margin numbers and drive effective execution across Europe and lead segment Industry Directors active engagement in the business forecasting and planning process
- Being accountable for the engagement, performance, compensation and development of your direct reports. As a Role Model Leader you will be required to demonstrate Role Model Leadership which includes:
- Being a change agent for RMD Europe business transformation change management activities with regards to people, process and system optimization
- coaching, goal setting and effective delegation to stretch and develop individual and team competencies;
- through regular observation, appraisal and monitoring encouraging and driving high standards of performance; and pro-actively addressing behavior and performance which is not meeting standards
- Support direct reports with robust business plans; ensure continued alignment with overall strategy and expectations and present monthly business reviews to senior management business.
- Drive overall execution of sales goals to include establishing and maintaining business plans within each territory/account, setting appropriate stretch sales targets, ensuring compliance with established sales goals and sales processes, ensuring appropriate coaching and mentoring of sales representatives by managers, and driving the team to succeed. Ensure targets are aligned with appropriate European Director Sales Group.
- Create/evaluate target lists for business development or share of wallet gains; measure and monitor execution against targets and maintain a detailed understanding of market dynamics that impact plans/strategies.
- Develop and maintain relationships at senior levels with large customers (or customers with large potential or strategic value), internally, both within RMD and Thermo Fisher Scientific, and with key suppliers.
- Drive training for your reports and through them for their sales teams; providing support and guidance through work days, regularly scheduled calls, etc.
- Embodies the 4-I values: Leads, motivates, enables and inspires others to succeed using appropriate styles. Has a clear vision of what is required and acts as a positive role model.
- Drives continuous learning: Proactively supports change and adapts to changing circumstances. Encourages others to embrace change.
- Builds organizational relationships: Promotes collaboration and cross functional working. Understands the impacts of decisions on other parts of the organization.
- Leverages business acumen: Evaluates data and prioritises actions to reach logical and profitable business decisions.
- Builds customer allegiance: Exceeds customer expectations by displaying total commitment to providing solutions of the highest possible standards.
- Communicates openly: Communicates effectively at all levels and across borders to successfully influence others.
- Drives growth: Actively influences events and proactively acts on opportunities. Initiates action and drives growth and improvement in processes and results.
- Develops people including self: Drives continuous learning champions’ employee development and growth.
- Bachelor’s degree (in a Science preferred) or relevant business experience.
- Demonstrable record of achievement in a role which has required influencing and/or managing directly/indirectly the activity of others to gain positive results.
- Demonstrable capacity to understand the complex nature of the markets in which Thermo Fisher operate and to articulate clearly our unique value proposition to customers across all sectors.
- Experience within the industry preferred; extensive successful sales management experience to include dealing at a senior level with customers.
- Knowledge of all facets of the distribution business model to include value added services and an understanding of the value we bring to the customers.
- Knowledge of the trends, financial and profitability drivers for the industry segment.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, strategic selling, negotiating, presentation and financial/business acumen*.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and in writing.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint a must.
- The ability to travel extensively across Europe (75%) and also to attend regional, national or international meetings.
- Fluent English is required.
Closing Date: Thursday 7th September 2017