When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Responsibilities: Tissue Culture Technician
The work setting is a biology-based drug discovery lab consisting of 90 – 100 scientists conducting plate-based pharmacology, histology, imaging, electrophysiology and microbiology. Tissue culture responsibilities may include the following: Weekly culturing and maintenance of a varirty of parental, immortalized mammalian cell lines to be able available to supply researchers requests.
- Ensuring cell lines don’t exceed maximum passage numbers and maintaining overlapping passages to ensure availability of desired cell types at all times.
- Filling orders for specific cell plating
- requests to support screening efforts with either standard parental lines from above or specialized screening lines (flasks, 96, 384, 1536-well plates, MatTek dishes etc.)
- Sporadic support of new cell line generation. This may include:
- Screening plates for single cell clones
- Expansion of identified clones for analysis and screening
- Freezing clones for storage.
- Filling requests from researchers to freeze cell lines for storage or for assay-ready cell vials.
- Fulfilling requests to generate lab-scale cell paste for binding assay support
- Maintaining a local frozen cell bank to ensure vials are available at all times for major parental strains.
- Harvesting tissue from animals (largely rodent brain) and dissociating and plating for primary culture (specialized training will be provided for animal handling, dissection, cell dissociation and culturing).
- Provide a monthly mycoplasma testing service (PCR based) to support the scientist community
- BS degree in a biology discipline. New graduates will be considered (min 3.0 GPA).
- Lab research or work experience required. Academic work study or research acceptable.
- Critical scientific, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral presentation, written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Microsoft applications such as Power Point, Excel, Word, etc.
- Strong commitment to the assigned tasks and striving for on-time delivery
- Desire to work within a team in a highly dynamic environment
- BS degree in Molecular or Cell Biology. Direct Experience with Tissue Culture or Tissue Culture Techniques (Required)
- Two years of experience in an academic or pharmaceutical laboratory environment.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.