Shift Support Maintenance Technician
When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Working within Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Speciality Diagnostic Group, within the Microbiology Division (MBD), our customers worldwide trust our microbiology solutions for the diagnosis of infectious disease and detection of bacterial contamination.
We’re looking for somebody to join our Engineering and Maintenance Team to help with the manufacture, maintenance, repair, and support of a wide range of Company machinery, services and facilities to agreed standards of safety and quality. You’ll support production throughout the factory in a timely and professional manner, and actively contribute to the Company’s “Continuous Improvement” culture throughout the site, to raise internal and external customer satisfaction. Through your role you’ll help a business that is dedicated to delivering quality products that help society.
Please note this role requires regular shift and weekend working.
- Preventative and Planned Maintenance
- Cary out basic planned maintenance / tasks on a number of equipment types
- Carry out maintenance on all machines using approved procedures. Fully trained on “Basic Tasks” site wide. Able to respond to deviations from procedures & justify all action taken Review, develop & maintain maintenance standards.
- Defect rectification
- Identify and diagnose common faults on equipment. Assist cell technicians in diagnosing complex problems
- Identify and diagnose complex equipment and system faults. Implement counter measures, analyse fault data and recommend root cause improvement activity
- Adjustments and Calibrations
- Carry out routine equipment/system adjustments within specified limits & standard calibration procedures
- Carry out equipment/system adjustments to improve machine set up/factory services. Develop “standard setting” adjustment points
- Spare part & material control
- Full adherence to department issuing procedures. Supply correct information of parts required ordering.
- Analyse usage & prepare changes to usage criteria / second sourced parts. Evaluate new parts and recommend action. Contact suppliers for part prices & adopt second quote comparison stance.
- Commissioning of new equipment
- Assist in commissioning of new equipment.
- Assist Department projects, commissioning tests, monitoring methods & reporting.
- Health and safety
- Report all incidents & hazards. Conform to and maintain area safety standards for safe working practices and good housekeeping.
- Actively promote H & S awareness and full-fill responsibility as defined in the H & S / Environmental policies / codes of practice.
- Assist in investigation of all items & develop area safety standards and participate in departmental safety audits
- Maintaining clear and accurate records
- Ability to issue clear & accurate reports / records.
- Utilisation of one point lessons & basic improvement reports. Analyse, summarise and implement improvements from data.
- Use of improvement activity reports to capture activity
- Improvement activity and projects
- Supporting company goals by involvement within “small group activity” & area improvement teams. Actively support and practice PPI principles
- Highlight required area/facilities improvements and liaise with other Department members to allow completion against set timescales. Responsible for overseeing the improvement until completion.
- Actively support and practice PPI principles
- Training and Development
- Assist in identifying own training needs.
- Identify training needs to improve Department performance. Responsible for coaching new Technicians in area & assisting in skill transfer to Operators, along with generation of written procedures.
- Assist all contractors as required.
- Where appropriate responsible for management of contract Project Engineers & contract staff.
Minimum Requirements, Qualifications and Experience:
- Completed Apprenticeship/Traineeship
- Experience working in an engineering environment
- Experience of machine operation and understanding of production processes.
- An understanding of quality systems
- Proven track record in relevant discipline i.e. Electrical/Mechanical
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Comprehensive process knowledge of equipment.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com