When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Fisher BioServices, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, is the industry leader in the management of critical biological materials to support the advancement of cell therapy, GMP biologics, and population-based public health research. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. We offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. http://www.fisherbioservices.com/
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Driver 1 duties:
- Obtains assignments, prepares paperwork, and inspects equipment prior to departure
- Maintains driver logs as well as all Federal Motor Carrier Regulations.
- Safely transports biological materials maintaining the required temperature.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the company vehicle as well as reporting any needed maintenance.
- Reports any accidents while using company equipment.
- Maintains confidentiality of company or personal information of others.
- Thorough and accurate completion of assignments.
- Works around hazardous substances and follows all safety guidelines to minimize exposure.
- Adheres to all company and manufacturer safety guidelines at all times.
- Operates commercial motor vehicles in urban, suburban, and rural areas in all weather conditions.
- Transports equipment and specimen without causing damage to any product.
- Participates in process improvement activities.
- Receives, handles and inventories specimens of human, animal, and/or plant origin at temperatures ranging from ambient to -196°C, and having potentially hazardous properties.
- Assures compliance to cGMP parts 210 and 211 and company quality systems.
- Follows standard operating procedures (SOPs), facility safety guidelines, and Food & Drug Administration (FDA) requirements which may include compliance with cGMP CFR parts 210 and 211 where applicable.
- May be required to travel to other facilities to meet business needs.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Basic Minimum Qualifications: The qualifications listed below are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete each essential duty.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Requires ability to prepare reports using Microsoft Excel.
- Requires knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Word and possibly Microsoft Access.
- Requires ability to read and interpret general procedures and governmental regulations.
- Requires ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, customers, and the general public.
- Requires High School Diploma
- Requires 1+ year driving experience or graduation from a state accredited driving program.
- Requires valid Commercial driver’s license Class B (CDL B) and a good driving record.
- Prefer knowledge of Universal Precautions, general laboratory and quality assurance/control.
- Prefer experience with routine vehicle maintenance.
Certificates and/ or Licenses:
- Hazmat Endorsement
- Blood Borne Pathogens Training.
8AM to 5PM core hours with additional hours as required. May be required to work non-traditional work week or work hours.
Work Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Requires ability to work in a cold environment with exposure to dry ice, liquid nitrogen cryogenics, hazardous and infectious agents, marked changes in temperature.
- May push/pull 600 lb liquid nitrogen dewars, and work from a platform ladder.
- Must use personal protective equipment and adhere to safety protocols.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs, and push up to 100 lbs.
- Must be able to process and handle materials frozen on dry ice (-78°C) or liquid nitrogen (-196°C) for up to 6 hours per day.
- Must be able to work in walk-in freezers or refrigerators periodically.
- Must be able to use a computer up to 6 hours per day.
- Must be able to drive automotive equipment, and load and unload equipment into and out of company vehicle.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.