The Director, PPI Business System is responsible for facilitating/enabling the implementation of the Practical Process Improvement (PPI) Business System to enable key sites to become Centers of Excellence. Establish and mature the Lean Management System (tiered daily management systems, Gemba walks, and leader standard work) and other coaching tools to transform the culture. Work closely with business leadership and PPI steering committees to identify ways to accelerate the culture change necessary to support PPI as the way we do business.
As a member of the APD(Anatomical Pathology Division) Leadership Team, this role will drive the implementation of the PPI Business System within APD functional groups to enable profitable growth, intensify the customer experience and increase employee engagement. The position partners with key stakeholders to establish and implement plans via strategy deployment tools to improve systems, improve profitability and eliminate waste. It involves coaching specific teams in the development and maturity of the lean management system, strategy deployment, and leader standard work. Additionally, it involves talent development across the organization to enable cultural adoption of the PPI Business System. This role will have a functional reporting relationship into SDG PPI leadership.
- Lead/work with functional teams to streamline processes to improve the customer experience, enable profitable growth and become more efficient.
- Responsible for facilitating/enabling the implementation of the PPI Business System.
- Cultivate an action-biased culture of continuous improvement to improve KPIs, in the areas of customer, finance, people and quality.
- Implement Lean Management System principles as appropriate to transform the APD culture into one focused on continuous improvement.
- Provide support to develop lean expertise and capability within the organization at all levels.
- Improve the decision-making model and problem solving capabilities within high performance teams to increase autonomy and the pace of change.
- Work closely with business leadership and PPI steering committees to identify ways to accelerate the culture change necessary to support the PPI Business System.
- Provide ongoing Lean support to multiple teams.
- Work with the expanded team to develop/promote/standardize the PPI Business System further.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with and positively influence leadership and all levels of the organization
- A Lean Expert with an 5+ years’ experience and a ‘hands-on’ track record of implementing successful TPS-based business systems including elements such as:
- Lean Leadership (Daily Management, Leader Standard Work, and Gemba Walks)
- Strategy Deployment and Value-stream mapping
- Kaizen events on standard work, cell design, process and product 3P, Value-Analysis/Value Engineering, error-proofing, material flow, heijunka, and kanban
- Expertise in problem-solving utilizing a formal program/process
- Bachelor degree minimum, preferred advanced degree, with concentration in continuous improvement curriculum.
- Experience working with Lean Sensei or TPS coach.
- A holistic thinker who can look enterprise-wide to integrate and streamline systems for optimal benefit.
- Able to drive strategic thinking and continuous improvement in both non-operational and operational areas, including connecting the cross-functional resources to remove waste along the extended value streams.
- Passion for driving improvement and leading change in a complex, global environment.
- Proven track record for developing, training, and coaching teams.
- Great communicator, including solid written, oral and presentation-giving skills.
- Broad knowledge of multi-functional, multi-site, global organizational processes and financial business methods.
- High ethical standards to support a professional business code of conduct.
- Able to travel ~50% with international as required.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of operational, leadership, or professional experience
- Proven track record of identifying and delivering year-over-year results using metric-driven problem solving
- Self-directed leader with a proven ability to manage/influence across and up into the organization without direct reporting responsibility
- Ability to travel as needed and ability to relocate as career and business needs dictate
This position has been approved for Relocation Assistance.