The Bioinformatics R&D Group in the Microarray business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific seeks a talented individual with extensive experience with relational databases and excellent bioinformatics domain knowledge. The successful candidate will curate data in a large, relational database for genomic research and will drive the acquisition of information from both internal and public sources. Additional duties include the analysis of microarray and genomic data and performing PostgreSQL database administration. You will work in an interdisciplinary, dynamic team of scientists and engineers to develop and support a broad array of products for genomic research.
- Acquire, maintain, and curate data from multiple sources.
- Perform database administration as required.
- Write front-end programs for data access for internal use.
- Contribute to software development projects.
- Analyze internal and customer data as required
- Work closely with molecular biologists and bioinformatics scientists to understand and refine data requirements.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in computer science, bioinformatics, genetics, or a related field;
- 1 – 3 years’ experience with SQL and administration of relational databases in a linux environment.
- Expertise with at least one scripting or programming language (Perl, Python, C++, Java, etc.).
- Familiarity with public genomics databases and sources (dbSNP, 1000 Genomes Project, etc.).
- Experience with linux system administration.
- Experience with web development.
- Familiarity with statistics and statistical programming (R, MatLab, or SAS)
- Experience in bioinformatics and microarray analysis.