Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Position Summary: The Engineering Technical Writer will write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. This includes formatting and layout of documents per the appropriate standards. Position includes direct interface with production associates, product management, engineers, document creators, and CAD designers. Must be technically oriented, able to exercise independent judgment, and capable of handling projects with minimal direct guidance & supervision. Generates, edits and proofreads technical documents, including technical manuals, maintenance procedures, standard operating procedures and manuals, miscellaneous reports, and proposals for grammar, spelling, clarity of expression, and organization. Ensures documents conform to company and government standards and specifications, and consistency of technical information (i.e., correct nomenclature, correct logic circuits, verify that text and art agree).
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions as specified by our Quality Manual.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Select or create photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material.
- Interview production and engineering personnel and read journals and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
- Interface with personnel at various levels of the organization, including but not limited to department management, operations representatives, project managers and functional leads to capture details of cross-functional interactions related to manufacturing and testing processes.
- Observe production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail.
- Develop, write, and edit material to establish proper procedures associated with the operation, maintenance, and/or administration of machinery, processes, systems or facilities
- Review manufacturer’s and trade catalogs, drawings and other data relative to operation, maintenance, and service of equipment.
- Evaluate documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Use drawings, parts lists, specifications, mock-ups and product samples to describe technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail
- Work with outside translators to have manuals translated into foreign languages and be able to perform translations of minor changes.
- Create documents to appropriate standards for publication in time to meet deadlines.
- Keep files organized for access, especially when creating new versions of manuals for custom products.
- Ability to print and bind manuals and create CDs of manuals when needed to meet production requirements.
- Work with printer to ensure that latest revisions of documents are available to production cells when needed.
- Perform all job duties in a safe manner and obey all safety policies and procedures.
- Perform all job duties consistent with the Code of Ethics and the 4-I Values.
- Perform all job duties within ISO standards, regulatory or statutory requirements.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement and support all PPI, Keys and Lean projects.
- Perform other duties and cross training as assigned. This may include creating Solid Words 3D CAD models, drawings, exploded assemblies, etc.
- Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field preferred.
- Associate degree in related field strongly preferred.
- 3 or more years of related experience or equivalent education preferred.
- Experience reviewing/revising/documenting text with the ability to understand mechanical and troubleshooting logic
- Must be able to write clearly, producing grammatically correct, concise, descriptive technical materials
- Must be a capable typist with good organizational abilities in order to create and maintain technical publications with minimal supervision
- Must be PC proficient, with solid knowledge of Microsoft Office and various drawing and desktop publishing software packages.
- Experience with Quark Xpress and Corel Draw, and Solid Works strongly preferred.
- Must be detail-oriented
- Able to use a digital camera to take clear photos showing essential details.
- Ability to effectively cope with priority changes and project requirements
- Capable of working independently with minimal direction & without supervision
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and/or individually
- Knowledge of or ability to learn our SAP ERP system as it effects job requirements.
- Physical Demands:
- Requires full range of body motion with ability to stand, bend, stretch, reach, and kneel.
- Ability to think quickly and clearly
- Ability to climb stairs
- Ability to make numerous trips to the plant area
- Ability to frequently lift up to 20 lbs; occasionally lift 40 lbs.
- Ability to stand for a several hours at a time