The Manager, Strategy & Portfolio for the Biosciences Division will be responsible for driving strategy and portfolio management initiatives for the division.
• Leading the overall process and work streams as part of the company and division’s formal strategic planning processes to systematically and comprehensively codify the company’s perspective on major environmental trends, competitive activity, and to outline key initiatives and actions to implement strategies based on our market understanding.
Specific tasks include:
o Assessing underlying market trends and competitive dynamics
o Identifying key short- and long-term strategic initiatives to improve business performance and competitive positioning
o Translating long-term targets into tangible financial and operational objectives
o Conducting analyses to prioritize resources in light of strategic initiatives
o Benchmarking BID’s performance against relevant comparables
o Creating materials to communicate strategic priorities and findings to senior management
• Providing internal consulting services to division-level and business-level strategy projects. Sample projects may include:
o Performing gap analyses to identify measures needed to achieve or sustain market leadership in key growth areas.
o Develop strategic alternatives to fix troubled parts of the divisional portfolio.
o Develop business plans for long-range internal investment projects.
• Serving as a key resource for executive management for understanding and making decisions regarding growth options available to the division.
• Developing a clear and well-articulated strategic and financial rationale for proposed investments and effectively communicating such rationale to key stakeholders including executive management.
• Analyzing data and providing views for reporting of BID key portfolio metrics.
• Evaluating current financial and metric tracking to improve integration and accuracy/robustness of data reporting.
Education and Required Experience
Bachelor’s degree in biology or a related field required
• MBA or business related master’s degree from a top school highly preferred
• More than 5+ years’ work experience in corporate development, strategic marketing, consulting, or private equity.
• Expert level knowledge of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint and demonstrated experience in modeling, analysis, research and presentation creation
• Previous strategy experience with a large business portfolio.
• Knowledge of life sciences markets.
• Proven ability to analyze complex business problems and conceptualize work streams with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication and influencing skills, including management of cross functional teams
• High energy, integrity and a track record of success
• Solid interpersonal skills (externally and internally at all levels)
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.