Business Unit Summary:
The Anatomical Pathology Division (APD) provides hospitals, clinical laboratories, contract-research organizations, defense supply/general services administration and multi-industry OEM’s (specialty glass) with the broad portfolio of offerings including Microscope Slides, Coverglass, Microscopy, Microarray Substrates, Hand-care Products and Custom Glass. The division generates $125MM in annual revenue and has 700 employees in 5 countries. Our customers use our products for security and fast throughput in their labs. Our stable adhesion chemistries and designed-for-instrumentation features allow them to process specimens with the highest speed and accuracy.
Romont's site is a glass-making plant, existing since 1935 but clearly engaged to a high-tech future with her production of first class extra white flat glass. Our processes are unique and allow us to supply multiple other plants of ThermoFisher Scientific with our glass. Thanks to our very high quality level, ThermoFisher Scientific is the worldwide leader in the microscope slides market.
The Technical Manager is fully responsible of a team of technicians (9 persons, mainly mechanical electrical) which assure the maintenance of all our equipment’s 24/7
• Manage the company’s Technical Support and Maintenance
• Develop solutions, as agreed by the Leadership Team
• Oversee and co-ordinate production of mechanical, electronic and electrical components of the company’s manufacturing process
• Lead technical projects and associated feasibility studies
• Responsible for furnace repair projects in accordance with General Manager’s instructions: technical solutions, planning, contact with suppliers, organization, budgeting, purchasing, controls during the rebuilt period
• Assure safety and continuous improvement of machinery and equipment as well as building
• Owner of our design system (need design competencies)
• Manage the generation and preservation of Company Intellectual Property, including archiving/storage of designs and documentation of know-how
• Provide technical support to operational functions in the most efficient manner for all concerns
• Prepare submission for inquiry related to civil engineering when needed in accordance with local laws and regulations (close collaboration with administrations and Swiss authorities)
• Maintain a clear view at all times of Technical Support past and forecast technical and financial performance (both deliverables and expenses)
• Foster a climate and culture where Quality/Health Safety and Environment issues are addressed effectively and speedily, as part of everyone’s normal function
• Improve the effectiveness of the Company’s internal systems; increasing efficiency and reducing administrative overhead
• Attract, retain and motivate people to improve the company’s performance
• Report regularly to the Leadership Team on key aspects of the business, in accordance with routine and ad-hoc reporting requirements
• Provide relevant technical information to Operations staff to enable proper operation and maintenance of Field Technical Equipment.
• Responsible for waste management
• Graduated from a Civil Engineering School
• 7-10 years of leadership experience working within Quality Management
• Manufacturing background ( in a Glass Making industry would be a plus)
• Project management experience would be a plus.
• Dynamic, high energy leadership skills and effective communication skills with a collaborative approach to problem solving
• Results oriented, metrics driven leader with a root cause, permanent fix approach, continuous improvement approach
• Collaboration skills – Able to effectively collaborate with peers in other functions and with colleagues in other businesses or divisions
• The candidate must have experience working with the Swiss Administrations (Federal, Cantonal and Communal) and local experience of dealing with them in the Canton of Fribourg would be mandatory.
• French native speaker as well as perfectly fluent in English.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.