The Senior Marketing Manager is responsible for setting the strategic direction and tactical implementation of activities that will lead to a customer-centric and goal achievement culture. This includes development of business / marketing plans and activities that drive the flow of products to our customers in a manner that highlights differentiation and value. This Clinical Diagnostic / Molecular, Quality Controls “product champion” is the focal point for the BU with regard to product and market knowledge, planning/execution, and achievement of business objectives. The Senior Marketing Manager is responsible for the product from identification of customer and market needs/wants, to concept and product development, product launch, through and including product discontinuation.
Recognition of new products to be developed to meet new market demands, or the creation of new markets. Provides leadership for product/concept justification during funding cycle, and provides similar leadership to product development team.
- Identification of new business opportunities through expansion of existing products into new markets, or enhancements of existing products to maximize existing markets.
- Support the commercial organizations in achieving Plan/Update objectives.
- Provides direction and input to all in-house groups such as Public Affairs, Operations, Finance, R&D, Quality, and Regulatory that affect the successful achievement of business objectives.
- Greater involvement in setting division-wide strategies (e.g. what products to fund)
- Direction and leadership to the R&D organizations throughout the product development cycle (e.g. developing customer requirements)
- Exposure to all international markets, with the requirement to build networks and success through a deep understanding of cultural diversity and varying global market dynamics
- Establishes strategic marketing plans for GIS Portfolio, in partnership with our Global, Regional and Country leaders for the purpose of achieving corporate objectives for products and services
- Directs the activities associated with market research for new product concepts, and summarizes feedback for future product development
- Provides leadership in the new product development process, and directs marketing activities to assure attainment of all performance, financial and scheduling objectives related to new products
- Manages the development and directs the execution of the upstream stages of insight and concept including identification of unmet market needs, market trends, customer segmentation for new product development and creation of the business case tool kit to support sales and revenue objectives of the organization
- Guides preparation of product development activities and presents to executive management
- Directs the post launch marketing activities for new product development, and summarizes feedback for future product development
- Researches, analyzes, and monitors financial, technological, and demographic factors to capitalize on market opportunities and minimize effects of competitive activity
- Leverage existing Key Opinion Leader relationships for market development activities
- Works closely with cross-functional departments in Medtronic’s ’s matrix organization
- Monitor and comply with external government guidelines
- Oversees and evaluates market development opportunities and adjusts marketing strategy to meet changing market and competitive condition
- Monitors competitive products and marketing activities with regional and country product managers
- Establishes and maintains relationships with strategic partners
- Leads, Coaches, mentors, trains and provides direction and support to Marketing personnel, including peers and subordinates, encouraging effective teamwork and positive relationships with other functional areas by developing and overseeing execution of the marketing plan. This includes definition of and segmentation of the market, targeting and positioning, and all aspects of the marketing mix (product, place/distribution, price, and integrated marketing/promotion).
- Bachelor’s degree Master’s preferred. BS/BA in Molecular Biology or other Life Sciences field desired. Advanced degree (PhD, MBA) strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience managing Product Management or similar positions. This position also requires effective interaction with external business partners. The position includes accountability for and management of work performed by colleagues not reporting to this position.
- 5 or more years previous marketing, business development, sales experience in the life sciences, biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries, with a proven track record of achieving sales and profit targets demonstrating aggressive growth.
- Preferred experience in Clinical Diagnostic and Molecular Quality Controls global markets
- Proven track record of delivering technical products in a fast paced regulated environment
- Outstanding presentation skills, including the ability to sell your vision with the technical knowledge to be credible with customers and development.
- High degree of personal initiative and self management.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- Able to determine own tasks related to high-level assignments
- Able to travel globally (<25%)
- Strong organizational, planning, process development and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to function in a complex business environment is essential.
- Strong formal presentation and negotiation skills are also required.
- Desired Characteristics
- Demonstrated use of marketing processes, tools, and analyses
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and successful record in a matrix environment
- Solid, creative problem solving skills and ability to manage and resolve conflict
- Proven professional business acumen (experience leveraging relationships and expertise of local internal team members and interfacing with external customers)
- Willingness to be flexible/adapt to changing work environments
- Demonstrated successful project management skills, ability to multi-task effectively and manage multiple priorities at one time
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in team environment and across functions
- Basic proficiency in computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite products