Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our five premier brands, Invitrogen, Applied Biosystems, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher seeks a talented bioinformatics scientist to join a multidisciplinary team focused on the development and use of genotyping platforms for research, biobank applications, direct-to-consumer genetic testing, and agri-genomics. The successful candidate will contribute to all aspects of the technology, including data mining, oligonucleotide probe design, algorithm development, and data analysis.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Data mining in Affymetrix’ proprietary database and public database
- Genotyping microarray design in collaboration with customers and researchers
- Analysis of large datasets, including internal data and customers’ experimental results
- Development of algorithms for genotyping, improvement of current and development of new QC metrics, assessing and improving probe performance through novel probe design
- Interacts with scientists across the organization
- Presents results both internally as well at scientific meetings and conferences
- Participates in process and operation improvement opportunities
- Responds to internal and external inquiries
- Complies with company quality management systems, policies and procedures
- Provides mentorship, if applicable
- Additional duties/responsibilities according to business needs
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Statistical Genetics, or Genome Science with experience in genotyping and/or genetics or equivalent experience
- 3+ years working experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong initiative and demonstrated ability to take ownership of challenging problems.
- Proficiency in R, SQL, and a scripting language such as Python or Perl
- Proficiency with statistical tests, linear models, ANOVA, etc
- Knowledge of human genotyping imputation considered a strong plus
- Experience working with scientist customers or collaborators is a strong plus.
- Experience in analysis of microarray data considered a strong plus.
Level of Autonomy and Complexity:
- Experienced professional with full comprehension of established principles, theories, concepts to resolve an extensive range of issues
- Demonstrates good judgment in applying appropriate action resolve issues of diverse scope requiring analysis and evaluation of factors
- Contributes to establishment of organization's objectives; error in judgment or failure to achieve objectives will have crucial impact and will require extensive addition of resources to correct errors and achieve goals
- Receives little instruction and creates own methods for resolution of everyday tasks; receives general directions for new projects; work is assessed for achievement of goals
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.