When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
A senior-level engineer to lead projects in the development of new manufacturing processes to deliver innovative glass products for the Anatomical Pathology Division. The individual will design, develop, scale-up and optimize robust operations that provide high product quality at various scales ranging from Concept to full scale manufacture. Strong collaboration is expected with internal and external R&D groups, internal commercial partners, and external third party OEMs. The candidate should have strong communication and interpersonal skills, be able to multi-task and have a commitment to continuous learning.
- Design and fabrication of manufacturing processes from small scale, proof of concept, experimental manufacturing to full scale, high volume manufacturing equipment and methods.
- Research and recommend new manufacturing technologies; including research, development, collaboration and prototyping.
- Investigate novel material candidates suitable for both alternative manufacturing processes and existing methods of manufacturing that can be leveraged.
- Support Internal and OEM instrument design teams on current conventional printing efforts and new technologies.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with equipment and materials manufacturers, as well as academic and commercial research laboratories; leverages knowledge gained efforts to advance manufacturing.
- Become the in-house expert on coating materials and alternative ink printing and curing processes for glass substrates and report on trends and possibilities.
- Explores new processes and builds demonstration platforms resulting in physical example for evaluation by peers, leaders, and business partners.
- Identify and keep abreast of novel technical concepts and markets.
- Guides deployment and leads implementation of new technologies/processes identified.
- Present findings, progress, and failures on a regular basis; prepares reports.
- Coordinate and communicate work effort within organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelors of Material Science or Mechanical Engineering from a 4-year accredited college or university; or related experience.
- Minimum of five years of prior experience as a manufacturing engineer with at least two years experience in coating applications (paint, ink, etc.) and/or materials research.
- Technical accomplishments and inter-relationships well documented.
- Demonstrated experience with rapid prototyping technologies design and fabrication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Broad knowledge of materials and strong understanding of the physical and aesthetic properties of materials ranging from polymers to ceramics and glass
- Demonstrated ability to communicate abstract ideas effectively both verbally and in writing suitable for publication
- Excellent project management skills and experience managing large projects
- Solid working knowledge of MS Office suite
- Strong analytical skills required.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Good communication skills across all organization levels, including excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability and experience coordinating decisions and activity across business functions
- Strong analytical skills
- Proficient in Windows based office software.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the complex technical, business, and legal documents.
- Competency in project planning tools required.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on controversial and/or complex topics to senior management.
- Problem solving capabilities, decision making.
- Strategic thinking and experience in optimizing global deployment of processes
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under tight time and budget constraints.
- Ability to facilitate teamwork and work with employees at all levels.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- 20%-30% travel
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.