Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands - Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Experienced operations and business leader needed to drive the manufacturing group for the production and supply of consumables and reagents for use in manufacturing research. The position reports directly to the Vice-President, Manufacturing Operations for Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Bioscience’s Division located in Carlsbad, CA.
Responsibilities include an intense focus on meeting customer needs in a demanding research environment, leading and coordinating all manufacturing operations across the site, ensuring the site functions at peak efficiency with proper communications and interfaces, developing the operations and manufacturing leadership teams while ensuring delivery of high quality products which are in compliance with all applicable customer, business and regulatory requirements.
The main goal of this position is to ensure that Thermo Fisher Scientific’s customers receive the highest quality products, on time, and in an efficient manner. To achieve this requires a highly motivated workforce which pays strict attention to detail, can identify, develop and implement robust harmonized processes and procedures along with methods to ensure procedural compliance. The successful candidate must be able to create and maintain a culture in Carlsbad demonstrated by every employee, every day which shows a stringent commitment to quality, assurance of supply to customers, self-motivation, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
Key Objectives of the role:
- Establish and improve mechanisms to ensure the operations team provides products and services to our Customers in a timely, cost effective and quality manner to Biosciences Division.
- Assess resource needs across the Division’s sites by working with site and functional leaders to assign resources per established priorities.
- Provide thought leadership to site leaders across functions to achieve Division goals and create a culture of accountability and continuous improvement.
- Drive performance of the Division’s operations to achieve and exceed financial targets through quality, cost efficiency and productivity.
- Establish mechanisms to ensure high levels of collaboration across Network sites and global functions.
- Establish key performance indicators that drive change and visibility to the team and leadership. Track, trend, and monitor routinely with active data analysis to target and drive results.
- Develop a succession strategy and improve bench strength by facilitating and mentoring network and site leaders to be both exceptional players and coaches.
- Coordinate the hiring, training, coaching and annual performance reviews of manufacturing leaders. Define and establish clear objectives and expectations, routinely provide direct feedback for performance management and development.
- Manage budgets, schedules and key operating metrics.
- Identify projects and recommend appropriate course of action (e.g., product quality improvement, discontinuation, outsource, process improvement) to maximize profitability and supply.
- Execute robust Risk Management practices to maintain high probability of project success, i.e., satisfaction of scope, schedule and budget.
- Ensure effective transfers of new products into production that meet all requirements for the classification.
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline and/or equivalent experience. Advanced degree in related field is preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of management experience in a complex, life sciences manufacturing environment.
- Significant experience leading large, highly complex global moves, including movement of products, people and associated global footprint in a highly integrated environment
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills with the ability to facilitate team interactions and to partner with and influence key stakeholders including Finance, R&D, Product Management and the Commercial team.
- A track record of talent development and a demonstrated ability to make that talent mobile so that our team develops the necessary global mindset.
- Strong leadership ability with the capability to leverage and flex diverse resources, respond quickly, understand the impact of changes and decisions, facilitate agreement, build collaborative relationships and focus on customer needs.
- Practical application experience in continuous improvement methodologies to improve processes, strengthen quality and drive efficiency.
- Strong analytical ability including the ability to effectively use data in problem solving and to evaluate process changes and impacts in order to significantly improve product quality and reliability in a Regulated environment.
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid and positive professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and executive leaders.