Thermo Fisher is seeking a highly innovative, motivated and talented Mechanical Engineer with leadership capabilities and with experience in Mechanical and Opto-Mechanical Design to join our team. As a member of the R&D team, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will contribute directly to the execution of technology and product development projects & strategy through technical product development and leadership of a diverse and talented team of Engineers.
- Execution of design projects from concept through delivery.
- Work closely with Project Management (PM) and cross-functional teams to execute projects to requirements and schedule.
- Work closely with PM (Product Management) to assess opportunities and perform project estimation tasks
- Perform technical analysis as required (FEA, simulation, tolerance and error budgeting) and present results
- Drive design and build of prototypes. Perform characterization and analysis relative to theoretical design and initial requirements.
- Complete documentation required for release to manufacturing
- Lead and direct the work of cross-functional project teams.
- Partner with management on product innovation and systems solutions and lead innovation that result in breakthrough solutions
Skills and Qualifications:
- Extensive knowledge in mechanical, opto-mechanical engineering. Experience with mechanisms and precision mechanical designs of complex systems
- Ability to innovate and architect new product designs when opportunities present.
- Ability to multi-task and operate efficiently in a fast-paced product development environment with multiple projects at various stages of completion
- Project leadership and leading development teams and projects
- Understanding of requirements for building DFx, reliability and regulatory compliance into the original design
- Excellent communication skills with the following: interdepartmental (electrical, software, system engineers), cross-functional (Operations, Marketing)
- Expertise with Solid Works and ePDM: ANSYS is a plus
- Knowledge of sheet metal fabrication, castings, plastic injection molding, and machining processes
- Familiarity with reading and modifying computer programs is a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills
- Industry experience in analytical instruments is preferred
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, MS degree a plus
- 8-10 years of demonstrated engineering & product development experience
- Must be U.S. Citizen or US Permanent Resident