When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Our Laboratory Chemicals business has exceptional growth potential. Laboratory Chemicals was built from several acquisitions and provides a full range of analytical reagents and discovery chemicals to Thermo Fisher’s core research markets worldwide. Laboratory Chemicals has been identified as a strategic growth area for the company with expansion opportunities in the US, Europe and developing markets, particularly Asia. Laboratory Chemicals has 14 operational facilities in the US, Europe, and Asia, and sells a significant portion of its products through Thermo Fisher customers channels group in major Western markets.
Position Summary and Objectives
The Senior Manager, Supply Planning directs the activities of the combined supply chain team for several plants across Global Chemicals North America manufacturing network. Consisting of: Production Planning and Capacity Management, Materials Management, Production and Supply Chain design and execution management. The core competencies of this role include manufacturing planning, lean material flow, inventory controls and analytics, capacity planning, and continuous improvement.
This position reports to the Global Director of Supply Chain.
- Overall accountability for setting the Production Plan and Production Schedule and assuring that longer term Capacity Plans are appropriately aligned with demand and service level expectations for a given site and their value streams
- Own, and architect if needed, the models used to profile production capability in each site, yielding guidance for Operations leaders to make adjustments to their labor, equipment, space and materials plans
- Leverage where possible industry standard definitions and approaches for managing Make to Stock vs. Make to Order fulfillment, Gross vs. Net Demand, Unit vs Dollar conversions, variable units of measure, optimal order quantities and batch sizes, among other critical operating parameters
- Enforce, and design if needed, the business processes used by the integrated supply chain team to process demand through the operations environment, determine the appropriate production and inventory levels and manage execution
- Ensure decision-making occurs at the appropriate level in the organization and operations so that the supply chain can respond swiftly to changes while performing within established control limits
- Serve as the functional steward for the Planning Master Data, both in and outside of the ERP, that is required to execute Supply Planning, including verifying critical information, designating change control authority, training the organization about the implications of critical data elements
- Lead and promote continuous improvement efforts, using our Practical Process Improvement (PPI) business system
- Ensure that a tiered performance management system is implemented enabling daily management and the structured escalation of performance issues and opportunities. Key metrics will include, but are not limited to, service level, back order, inventory, schedule adherence, scrap, lead times and absorption
- Provide training to staff on Supply Planning, MRP, Capacity Modeling
- Bachelors in business or technical discipline; MBA preferred
- Minimum 10-15 years business experience, with 7 years of experience in supply chain
- Advanced skills in Excel, Access, Cognos/Data Warehouses, SAP and/or other ERP systems
- Functional experience in a global and matrix organization
- Proven experience in managing resources across remote sites
- Advanced knowledge in Supply Planning (Master Production Scheduling, Materials Requirement Planning, Capacity Planning, Inventory Optimization) processes
- Sufficient business acumen to translate divisional strategy into supply chain design and operating goals.
- The ability to coordinate activities and drive improvement across multiple sites in different ERP systems and different time zones.
- APICS Certification
- Experience in an ISO13485 environment, preferred (Pharma, Med Device, etc)
- Process manufacturing experience
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.