The Value Stream Manager (VSM) reports to the Site Leader and is a strategic partner in manufacturing operations with responsibility for leading a Production Value Stream to achieve required business results. The VSM insures products in the Value Stream are manufactured with the highest level of quality and compliance in a safe and timely manner that will meet customer expectations while meeting all cost commitments. The position is responsible for developing a high performing team of both direct and indirect reports across all functions driving to achieve a common set of goals. Direct reports include manufacturing supervisors and indirect/dotted line reports include members from all functions across the value chain that support operations.
The Value Stream Manager is directly responsible for overall performance of the Value Stream including safety, quality, delivery, cost, and productivity. This position and the Value Stream Team performs as a liaison and relationship builder to Key Customers and Commercial Team members to create value across the organization that focuses on improving the external customer experience to drive customer allegiance. This VSM provides leadership guidance that ensures product scheduling, planning, materials, sourcing, and manufacturing functions are effective in enabling the Value Stream to achieve customer focused and financial goals. The VSM drives the implementation of the PPI Business System by acting as the Lean Manufacturing champion responsible for eliminating waste and improving flow throughout the Value Stream.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a safe work environment, a high level of safety awareness among associates, and implements 5S principles.
- Provides guidance, direction and leadership to insure that products are manufactured with the highest level of quality in a safe, compliant, and timely manner that will meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Oversees and manages Value Stream expenses to meet budgets and financial objectives
- Develops a standard operating mechanism and leads the Value Stream Key Performance Indicator review each month. Identifies gaps and implements countermeasures.
- Incorporates Lean Leadership into daily work and into the organization to include Visual Management, Stand Up Meetings, Gemba Walks, and Leader Standard Work.
- Conducts fact-based analysis using lean techniques to create value and manage to a future state Value Stream that eliminates waste and drives continuous process improvement related to safety, quality, delivery, cost, inventory, service, and productivity.
- Builds strong alliances across all functions and is strategic liaison to Account Management, Sales, Customer Service, Engineering, and Finance to meet Customer and Stock Holder commitments.
- Mentors and develops direct reports and the entire Value Stream Team. Listens, supports, engages and encourages employee suggestions and input to achieve excellent results while driving a culture of accountability
- Establishes goals, sets priorities and coordinates all related activities within the Value Stream to ensure drive and focus towards meeting or exceeding established common business objectives from the Site Goal Tree and Strategic A3.
- Monitors, reviews, and improves manufacturing and quality related activities and drives investigations, corrective and preventative actions.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to drive improvement throughout the value stream in support of this value streams and sites productivity target
- Responsible for maintaining proper staffing levels, scheduling and organizing work assignments within the company policies and procedures.
- Owns and drives a culture of “Right First Time..On Time”
- Performs all job duties in a safe manner, consistent with the Code of Ethics and the 4-I Values.
- Performs other duties and cross training as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or engineering strongly preferred. An advanced degree such as an MBA is a plus.
- Strong leadership and decision making ability.
- Knowledge, experience or training in Lean techniques and proficient in process auditing.
- Possess business and/or technical engineering aptitude to understand advanced level of product line knowledge.
- 5+ years working experience in a manufacturing environment with leadership experience.
- Possess a continuous process improvement mindset with the ability to effectively lead and manage change.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Possess a solid working knowledge of other business functions such as Logistics, Finance, Sales, Engineering, and Human Resources in addition to Manufacturing and Quality.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and lives the Thermo Fisher Scientific 4-I core values of Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to travel as needed.