When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
This role will report to the GM and Vice President for GSS, and will have responsibility for the definition, delivery and growth of the services portfolio and innovation roadmap.
With over $250M in annual revenues derived from thousands of customers across LSG, GSS is uniquely positioned to drive innovative, cross-divisional services growth through delivery of our core contract-based work, while also building innovative solutions to our customers across multiple business segments and markets. This leader will lead the strategic planning process and outcomes, the development and execution of channel optimization marketing plans to support consumable, instrumentation, application and professional service delivery and the Business Development efforts for GSS.
In this position the successful candidate will have the responsibility to collaborate across multi-disciplinary, international teams and cultivate key partnerships with KOLs in support of strategic programs and business opportunities. Successful candidates will combine strong scientific understanding with strategic analysis, business acumen, marketing excellence and leadership skills.
- Drive above-market growth by generating demand, creating loyalty and developing long-term product, campaign and regional strategies for the entire $250M Service & Support business.
- Drive the identification, pursuit and acquisition of strategic business opportunities including partnerships, alliances, joint ventures, and acquisitions that could support the business strategy.
- Lead the overall process and work streams as part of the formal strategy development processes to systematically and comprehensively codify the overall perspective on major environmental trends, competitive activity, and to outline key initiatives and actions to implement strategies based on our market understanding. Specific tasks include:
- Assessing underlying market trends and competitive dynamics
- Identifying key short- and long-term strategic initiatives to improve business performance and competitive positioning
- Translating long-term targets into tangible financial and operational objectives
- Conducting analyses to prioritize resources in light of strategic initiatives
- Benchmarking GSS’s performance against relevant comparable organizations/teams
- Creating materials to communicate strategic priorities and findings to senior management
- Distinguish and convey the value of professional services, its corresponding impact and connection to pre-sales delivery through quality measurement and insight to the broad organization to ensure optimal partnerships and collaboration across all divisions within Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Drive program management to successfully execute on NPIs.
- Lead the Global Product Management team and regionally deployed Market Development teams.
- Lead, develop and continue to strengthen the Global Marketing team through continuous improvement initiatives, and targeted talent development.
- Lead the team developing and implementing market development strategies for key target markets. Optimize channel strategies to effectively deliver solutions to new and existing market segments while also delivering above-market growth.
- Directly interface with existing and potential customers to understand their needs, their long-term strategic plans, and their buying persona.
- Utilize customer, market and direct employee insights to determine novel and disruptive approaches to the professional services environment and drive product innovation through the GSS portfolio. Build the business case for, and define the business model for innovation.
- Responsible to develop, refine, and deliver strategies that accelerate growth of existing divisional portfolios; define innovative applications for the over-arching divisional strategies and the linkages to service needs.
- 15+ years’ experience in strategy, business development, market development, mergers and acquisitions, marketing and/or R&D in the life science or high-tech industry.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or PhD degree and/or MBA highly preferred.
- Extensive experience in driving investment decisions and portfolio tradeoffs.
- Proven ability to intake market dynamics and frame strategic direction from those observations and market intelligence.
- Experience in executing partnerships, deals, or acquisitions, from target identification to execution.
- Aptitude for value creating, promoting, educating, pricing and selling an intangible product portfolio.
- Ability to manage a team of marketing professionals that are located in all major regions of the globe.
- Exceptional understanding of the essentials of product management (Business and Financial Acumen, Analytical ability, Market and Competitive Knowledge, VOC/Customer Insight, New product innovation, Price Strategies, Segmentation, Product Guidance, lifecycle management, value capture strategy).
- Strong understanding the essentials of global market development.
- Demonstrated understanding in all essentials of regional market development (service & support attachment, sales training program effectiveness, channel strategy optimization, local customer growth/ key account strategies, regional business performance, analysis & reporting, local price optimization, install base management, translation validation, NPI execution, upgrade & refurbish planning).
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.