As a member of the SelectScreen® biochemical screening team, this position will support the SelectScreen® Services through the management of compounds supplied by customers and the performance of high throughput screening assays using a variety of platform technologies to characterize new chemical entities for our drug discovery clients and will be based in the Thermo Fisher Scientific European Screening Centre located at the Inchinnan campus.
Training will be given in all aspects of the work performed at the European Screening Centre and the appointee will utilize state-of-the-art informatics, compound management, liquid handling automation, assay and detection technology in order to perform biochemical screens, analyse results and generate reports.
The appointee will also be encouraged to troubleshoot experiments, identify and solve problems, contribute ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory techniques, improve protocols, processes, and equipment.
- Use basic laboratory skills in biochemistry or a related field to run high throughput screening (HTS) assays with a basic scientific understanding of processes.
- Utilize state-of-the-art informatics in order to perform screens, analyze results and generate reports.
- Troubleshoot experiments, identify and solve problems.
- Receive and manage compound stocks, ensuring full traceability and proper compound handling.
- Maintain a high level of interaction and collaboration with the Project Manager around compound supply and visibility to incoming orders and with the screening teams around coordinating requests and delivery schedules.
- Run daily screening projects with general instruction, good consistency, and strong attention to detail.
- Closely adhere to laboratory protocols and processes and assist in updating documentation as existing laboratory processes change.
- Previous laboratory experience either in academia or in the Biotech industry
- Self-motivated - can function both independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Keen to learn and progress
- Process mind-set, strong attention to detail, good work ethic, and ability to be flexible to rapid changes in priorities
- HNC/HND or a Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline, or the equivalent knowledge and experience