When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Portable Analytical Instruments, a business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific, is the leader in handheld XRF, Raman, and Infrared devices that enable precise material identification and characterization across a wide variety of end markets. It is the product of three acquisitions over the past decade and brings together a product portfolio with leading market positions globally.
There are several R&D technological initiatives in the PAI to develop or expand our HH analytical instrument capabilities, including TXRF (total reflectance spectroscopy), SERS-Raman or SORS-Raman (surface offset Raman spectroscopy) as well as various workflow development to bring our elemental and chemical detection to trace level (ppm-ppb).
Experience and Skills Requirements:
- Experience in system level design down to the component level for state-of-the-art portable analyzers.
- Experience in various spectroscopic techniques such as XRF, Raman and FTIR, LIBS, or any other new optical technology platforms
- Detailed working knowledge on digital and analog electronics control is highly desirable. This includes working knowledge of DSP, FPGA technologies as well as digital x-ray processors (DXP)
- Capable of facilitating prototype-to-product transitions to expand our current handheld product portfolio of Raman, FTIR, NIR and XRF
- Excellent problem-solving skills with a hands-on approach
- Experience in advanced signal and data processing and applied chemometrics for spectroscopy is a plus
- Expertise in Matlab is essential; working knowledge of C/C++ is a plus
- A firm understanding of other engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, optical) and a demonstrated ability to interface with those engineers
- Familiar with essential sample preparation technology and micro-fluidics sample handling is also desirable
- MS with 5+ years relevant experience or Ph.D in EE, ME, or related field
- experience in systems engineering comprising optical, mechanical engineering, electronics, embedded software and firmware technology as well as advanced electronics-control techniques.
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.