Job Title: Scientist III
Location: Grand Island, NY
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Applying knowledge (theoretical and practical) of Biochemistry/Organic Chemistry/Cell Biology/ Biotechnology or Biomedical engineering, assess the feasibility of new custom cell culture media, supplements, and reagents. Design and develop new custom media formulations resulting from the scale-up existing prototypes or through customer inquiry and application requests. Develop batch master records/work instructions to allow the conversion of raw materials to finished good in the production of media formulations. Support and engage in the transfer of technology and media products in various formats to associated manufacturing sites and networks. Identify, investigate, and develop solutions to customer issues (internal and external) in media design, production, and quality using data, statistical analysis and experimental design.
- Issue primary feasibility assessments on Custom Cell Culture Media chemical formulations, conduct process development, scale-up and transfer of technologies to cross-functional teams for production.
- Develop process / product specifications to achieve the highest quality in production.
- Make detailed observations and conduct statistical analysis of data in support of product and process quality.
- Maintain accurate notebooks/files in accordance with Media Network standards.
- Advise management teams of factors that may affect quality, accuracy and usefulness of data, and interpret experimental results.
- Design and troubleshoot experiments.
- Identify and solve elementary problems in experimental designs.
- Contribute ideas and suggestions to improve cell culture media manufacturing processes and techniques to improve protocols, processes and equipment.
- Engage in high performance work teams to sustain a culture of operational excellence, continuous improvement, and productivity.
- Comply with all company safety, quality, and training procedures and regulations.
- Report all non-compliance and support, engage in, and potentially lead teams assigned to making improvements.
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Position exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. The candidate must possess and demonstrate the highest attention to detail and planning/scheduling even during parallel work/multitasking assignments. Candidate must be self-directed and driven during both new and complex/challenging workflows and priorities, as well as during routine assignments. Ability to appreciate the significance and contributions of each project toward Company and customer objectives is key.
Measures of Contribution/Impact
The Feasibility Scientist supports the Media Network within the BioProduction and BioSciences Business divisions within the Life Sciences Solutions Group (LSG). This position supports custom business revenue through new product design/development and the revision of existing products to meet customer requirements/applications. This position is engaged in sustaining and growing our business through inquiry feasibility, inquiry to quote conversion, customer interaction to provide technical support or to insure achievement of expectations, and in the development of process instructions for each unique media formulation. The ability to achieve these objectives within established service level agreements, as well as during times of expedited service, is critical to success in this role.
Possesses the theoretical/practical fundamental concepts and procedures of designing cell culture media and chemical formulations; continues profession development of technical expertise through experience, training, and application.
- Requires a Bachelor or Master's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology/Biomedical Engineering, or other related discipline with the equivalent knowledge and experience, PhD preferred.
- Requires a minimum of 4 years of experience in a work environment with a Bachelor’s degree; 2 years with a Master’s degree or a PhD Degree with relevant laboratory/practical work.
- Buffer/reagent development and manufacturing experience required.
- Must have excellent time management, highest degree of quality and attention to detail, and communication skills.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.