When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Unity Lab Services (ULS), a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers. This Field Service Engineer is responsible for managing all aspects of field service support and customer relationship management. The successful candidate will provide complete services on Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry systems, including installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualifications. Our ideal candidate will be customer oriented, an advocate for Thermo Fisher Scientific in customer laboratories, and be eager to drive growth.
- Perform on-site installation, repair, maintenance, qualification, and validation of Mass Spectrometry and HPLC systems
- Analyze complex business problems to be solved with automated systems
- Provide technical expertise in identifying, evaluating and developing systems and procedures that are cost effective and meet user requirements
- Configure system settings and options; plans and executes unit, integration and acceptance testing; and creates specifications for systems to meet business requirements
- May be internal or external, client-focused, working in conjunction with Professional Services and outsourcing functions
- Must be proficient with the use of customer management software to track service calls, manage parts inventories, and complete job tasks
- Reviews performance reports and documentation from customers and other field representatives, and inspects malfunctioning or damaged product to determine nature and scope of problem
- Analyzes review and inspection findings to determine source of problem, and recommends repair, replacement, or other corrective action
- Coordinates problem resolution with engineering, customer service, and other personnel to expedite repairs
- Analyzes reports of technical problems to determine trends affecting future design, production, service, and maintenance processes, and recommends modifications to eliminate future problems
- Provides a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer
- Develops and conducts training on the safe operations of the equipment and demonstrates skills to trainees, including both team members and customers
- Other duties may be assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or Life Sciences or related field preferred
- Practical knowledge and experience with Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry systems
- Electronics experience including 3 or more years’ experience working with analytical instrumentation, or 3 or more years relevant industry experience
- Must be available to travel overnight up to 70% within the territory or other areas as required
- Essential Functions and Physical Requirements
- Ability to safely lift 50 Lbs with assistance on occasion.
- Ability to safely lift and carry 25-30 Lbs continuously throughout the day.
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- 3+ years of hands-on experience as a Service Engineer is preferred; particularly working with analytical instrumentation or 3+ years relevant industry experience.
- Effective communication skills and ability to establish good customer rapport are essential
- Ability to prioritize service requests and produce clear and concise documentation
- Ability to work independently within a customer location
Location: The territory primarily covers North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, with overnight travel required up to 70%. The position will be based within the territory, ideally in North Carolina.
This position has not been approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.