When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Unity Lab Services (ULS), a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers. This Field Service Engineer will work at customer sites to ensure that equipment is operating at an optimum level by providing repair, preventative, maintenance, diagnostic, and validation services. Provides generalist level support to one or more Thermo product line, family or application. Products include: Lab Refrigerator/ Freezers, Ultra Low freezers, centrifuges, ultra-pure water products, ovens, incubators, biosafety cabinets and cell washers.
Our ideal candidate will possess technical expertise in electronics and refrigeration, and be customer oriented, an advocate for Thermo Fisher Scientific in customer laboratories, and be eager to drive growth.
Evaluates and Resolves Customer Equipment Issues:
- Ensures customer satisfaction through excellence in repair and support of customers’ products.
- Maintains communication with customer to ensure understanding of status, cost, and timing of all aspects of the service event.
- Provides courteous and knowledgeable response to technical issues, meeting commitments in a timely manner.
- Serves as a customer advocate and ensures that technical issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Manages escalation of unresolved technical issues to Technical Support.
- Adheres to Thermo Fisher Scientific protocols, consistencies and procedures.
- Performs technical diagnosis of operational problems and repairs/calibrations on wide range of laboratory equipment to ensure that the equipment is operating to the customer’s complete satisfaction and manufacture specifications. Products include, Lab Refrigerator/ Freezers, Ultra Low freezers, centrifuges, ultra pure water products, ovens, incubators, biosafety cabinets and cell washers.
- In addition to training end users and distributors, serves as a source of technical product knowledge and trains, as required, other service engineers and provides supervision as required in the course of this duty.
- Performs technical evaluations on product changes and on new products, including software verification, collection of performance data, assessment of user friendliness, ease of maintenance, etc. Provide written reports on evaluations.
- Assists with customer training, by preparing instruments and supplies as well as giving presentations.
Manages Internal Processes:
- Enters various types of data (i.e. service log, invoicing, knowledge retention, etc.) into computer system.
- Participates in depot repairs via equipment repairs, training, etc. (may be on a rotational basis).
- Supports the Quality System and Quality Policy by following procedures/work instructions and creating records to meet the requirements of the Quality System Regulation and ISO registration.
- Assists Accounts Receivable Department in collecting past due invoices.
- Assists in the development of manuals and technical information.
- Maintains spare parts inventory, tools, manuals and test equipment.
- Maintains records of all service events per organizational policy.
- Promotes and sells various types of extended warranty/PM contracts on equipment, user training, and Service Replacement Orders.
- Advises sales representatives of potential selling opportunities within accounts.
- Technical school degree in Refrigeration or Electronics or scientific field, or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of equivalent job related experience, preferably supporting laboratory equipment.
- Technical proficiency with instrumentation and electronics (may include, but not limited to: centrifuges, incubators, refrigeration, ultra low freezer, and LN2 cryo storage).
- Lift 75 Lbs without assistance 15% of the time.
- Lift and carry 25-30 Lbs continuously throughout the day.
- Bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Availability travel overnight up to 25%.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products and basic PC skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Strong inter-personal, self-motivational, & negotiating skills.
- Excellent communication skills, working across all levels, functions and regions.
- Excellent Computer skills required; efficiency in Word and Excel.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
- Refrigeration /EPA certification
- Experience with Cascade Refrigeration, Separation products, and Controlled temperature lab product/instruments
The territory primarily covers the Houston, Texas area, with daily local travel required, and overnight travel required up to 25%. This position will be remotely based within the territory.
This position has not been approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.