The Research and Development group of the Life Sciences and Mass Spectrometry business unit is offering a unique opportunity for highly talented individuals looking to gain experience and play a role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher’s position as the leader in mass spectrometry.
Participants will take part in the Industrial Post-doc Program where they will contribute to needs-based projects while receiving exposure to the company’s core businesses, processes, technologies, and leaders. The Program is a one-year assignment. This is a premier opportunity to make a significant contribution to the World Leader in Serving Science.
- Work with the chemistry team on system integration of complex automation platforms.
- Write functional system specifications
- Interface with third party device vendors to define functional integration requirements
- Work with Mechanical Engineers and Chemists during evaluation, concept, and design phases
- Prototype assembly and testing of liquid handlers
- Develop procedures, required tools, and documentation for system test
- Eager to learn mass spectrometry
- Enjoy an intrapreneurship experience; interface with cross functional work teams such as Product Management, Product Marketing, Research & Development and Sales & Marketing.
- Have fun, be fully engaged and promise to have a life beyond “work”
- MS/PhD degree in Bioengineering or Biomedical Engineering
- Proven capability of using various analytical instruments for characterization and analysis of biomolecules.
- Development, integration, and test of laboratory robotic systems
- Comfortable working with engineering teams to implement integration solutions.
- Able to evaluate various abstract system architecture options and make design recommendations.
- Experienced in motion control engineering or specific experience with laboratory robots (coordinate systems, motion profiles, teaching, pathing, etc.)
- Experience integrating devices using a wide range of technologies using RS-232, USB, Ethernet, etc.
- Superior PC and Microsoft Windows skills (hardware/software configuration, networking, etc.)