When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
We are searching for a Bioprocess Research Engineer that will drive new product innovation. The ideal candidate will be able to apply prior experience in the biotechnology industry and create/define novel bioprocessing enhancements towards best in class bioprocess workflow solutions. Success in this role will be demonstrated by the ability to network and collaborate globally across other business units within the company and support technology expansion and growth of corporate synergy. This role will require the ability to manage tight timelines, develop professional relationships with new suppliers and customers while always displaying exceptional professionalism and accountability.
- Drive bioprocess workflow innovation through adaption of existing and emerging technologies, propose new paths of technology research and vet these concepts with sound experimental design.
- Lead technical feasibility studies, identify core strength and weakness of emerging technologies, and formulate technical assessments to define product development feasibility
- Independently design experimental plans, perform or direct studies, and analyze data.
- Perform engineering analysis, modeling, and optimization (i.e. heat and mass transfer, CFD, surface chemistry, biological networks etc.) of components and systems.
- Supports technology transfer into development and serve as consultant towards continuous process/product improvements for NPD and manufacturing operations as necessary
- Document experimental results/concepts, strategically drive patent and intellectual property portfolios
- Serve as a technology thought leader, create and present technical contents at industry conferences and professional symposiums.
- Collaborate with customer’s at their location, iterate new product and process concepts by way of alpha and beta testing
- Travel as required to perform job functions.
Bachelor's of Science Degree In Engineering - biological, biomedical, bioprocessing, biotechnology, chemical or materials.
Bachelor’s degree, with 12 years of experience, or Advanced degree with 10 years of experience
Following skills desired:
- Engineering research, design, modeling and analysis. Proficient in good engineering practices and applied mathematics/statistics.
- Ability to deconstruct technology concepts into core principles and determine feasibility for product development
- Knowledge of bioprocessing operations (cell culture, microbial fermentation, harvest & recovery) and cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practices) type environments.
- Experience specifying, designing, and qualifying small and large scale bioprocess unit operations (mixing, filtration, cell culture, centrifugation, TFF/MF/UF, chromatography, purification, clonal development)
- Strong knowledge of cell biology and/or biochemistry, especially with respect to interaction with biopharmaceutical processes and process equipment
- Experience in the medical device or biopharmaceutical industries.
- Software proficiency: MS office programs, SAS/JMP, DoE, matlab/simulink, CAD (Solid works, AutoCAD a plus)
- Automation and instrumentation proficiency: knowledge of Delta-V, PLC, PAC based bioreactor control systems and supporting unit operations using PAT.
- Team oriented with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Project management skills, time management discipline, Gantt charting
- Experience directing multiple technicians for maximum resource utilization
- Demonstrated results showing exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- College engineering degree in applicable technical field.
- Bachelor’s degree, with 12 years of experience, or Advanced degree with 10 years of experience
- Laboratory, research, industrial, and/ or process development experience.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well and lead in a group environment.
- Position may include travel up to 15%
Note: This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.