Job Title: Senior Staff Scientist, BP Development Lab
Reports To: Senior Manager, CIC / Sr. Director Cell Culture R&D
Position Location: Shanghai, China
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. Surrounded by collaborative colleagues, you’ll have the support and opportunities that only a global leader can give you. Our respected, growing organization has an exceptional strategy for the near term and beyond. Take your place on our strong team, and help us make significant contributions to the world.
The Senior Staff Scientist, BP Development Lab, is a recognized technology leader in cell culture media analysis and improvement for bio-pharmaceutical (bio-similar and bio-better) and viral vaccine applications. The Senior Staff Scientist is responsible for ensuring the successful planning, design and completion of activities supporting the development of new applications data, laboratory protocols, and Bio Production products to support China’s bio-processing market. The position is responsible for being a scientific thought leader leading a local team of scientists and technicians (approx. 3 and expandable to approx. 10) to ensure that projects are executed with high integrity and quality, on time and within budget.
Candidate must be able to work independently, as well closely cooperating with related stakeholders, i.e. local commercial and marketing team, BU technical center. Must have the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment and prioritize work as necessary. Candidate must be able to build lab business development strategy that is incorporated with the China business development roadmap, and execute lab operation to support healthy business growth. The candidate should be a proven effective leader to recruit, coach, and grow the team members to achieve their own career development goals.
Candidate must be proven leader of integrity, in compliance with non-competition agreement, to ensure / protect best interest of Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Serve as technical expert and technical leader for at least one major technical program (up to 30% time in the laboratory)
- Provide accurate scoping and estimation of development efforts for projects based on product requirements and a solid grasp of the relevant technologies.
- Collaborate with Extended R&D Team, China Sales/Marketing Team, BioProduction Business Unit, and other teams as appropriate, to fully define and generate innovative custom products and applications data relevant for the China bio-pharmaceutical and viral vaccine markets.
- Develop relationships with potential collaborators, generate technical scopes of work, and lead collaborations with customers to ensure projects are executed with tangible deliverables, high quality, on time and on budget.
- Generate presentations to be made at scientific meetings and workshops, and at customer visits.
- Prepare manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals, trade journals and books.
- Ensure that projects are developed in accordance to regulator standards and departmental SOPs.
- Lead the development and implementation of new systems and features within existing systems based on functional requirements (e.g. Quality systems, Facility build out).
- Build strong relationships with departmental leaders throughout the company, and contribute to leadership discussions.
- Ensure the lab operation complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
- Motivate, mentor, and develop a team of laboratory scientists and engineers.
- Support Sr. Manager CIC, perform resource allocation to staff projects appropriately.
- Collaborate with IT, legal, and other supportive teams to ensure data security and IP management
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
- Ph.D. Virology, Biological Sciences, Biochemical Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent knowledge and work experience
- Experience gained through obtaining a Ph.D. degree plus 7 years work experience; or Master's degree with at least 10 years experience. Postdoctoral experience preferred. Post-graduate experience in industrial setting preferred.
- Demonstrated competence in cell culture, viral vaccines, process development, bioreactors, media development.
- Sufficient post-degree laboratory experience in virology, biology, chemistry, biochemistry or other related disciplines, preferably in a commercial setting. Minimum of 3 years relevant post-graduate work experience in cell culture bioprocess development, 3+ in a management / leadership capacity (of at least 5 scientists in a matrix, commercial setting), with demonstrated ability to deliver high quality production processes and products on time .
- 5+ years experience in viral vaccine production in roller bottles, stacked plate systems, micro-carriers, or other similar systems
- 5+ years experience developing serum-free media formulations for anchorage dependent and suspension adapted cells used for viral vaccine or bio-therapeutic protein production.
- 5+ years experience developing fed-batch or perfusion based bioreactor processes at bench scale, and ideally in fixed tank bioreactors (at least 30L).
- 3+ years lab management experience, proven capability in operation process definition and improvement, and material management etc.
- Recognized as a company expert within upstream cell culture development, statistical experimental design (DoE) and assay development.
- Familiar with downstream purification development activities and key technologies.
- Familiar with Quality Systems and cGMP manufacturing principles.
- Experience in managing external scientific collaborations.
- Must be proficient in both Chinese (Mandarin) and English, both verbal and written language skills.
- Must exhibit good interpersonal skills with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have strong understanding of both Chinese and American business culture and practices.
- Experience in financial planning and budgeting processes.
- Experience in program/project management.
- Experience coordinating with development teams outside China, i.e. US or Europe.
- Proven fast learner on new technology / knowledge / process
- Capability to design business model, define business plan and execute accordingly
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.