Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 Billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Bio-Systems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
- Work in a team based environment to manufacture high quality custom oligonucleotides in a high throughput, fast paced setting.
- Manufacture Oligonucleotides/Custom Primers for use in the biotech industry by following established protocols and SOP’s. Operate semi-automated and automated basic lab equipment. Regularly evaluate non-routine test results and either fail the product or allow it to continue through the production cycle.
- Highly repetitive tasks for prolonged periods of time.
- Understand scientific principles in order to problem solve, troubleshoot test results, evaluate alternative choices and exercise independent judgment in selecting the best solution. Provide multiple decision options and corresponding logic/data behind the decisions. Proactively identifies production problems.
- Provides feedback and contributes ideas and suggestions to new and/or improved lab techniques, protocols, processes, special handling of the product and equipment.
- Balance multiple tasks. Demonstrate knowledge in the use of basic lab techniques and basic computer knowledge. Demonstrate the ability to meet standards as defined by the manufacturing process.
- Thoroughly and accurately complete documentation (completes BR, get necessary verifications, document problems, bring deviations to the attention of the Leads/Supervisors).
- Continuously strive to improve output goals. Demonstrate good time management resulting in efficiency. Support cost improvement initiatives by reducing failures, improving capacity and using supplies wisely. Reduce work in process, queues and cycle times.
- Inform appropriate people about problems/questions; be prepared to discuss problems/questions clearly. Work in a safe manner. Work with team members to overcome obstacles. Collaborate, support and consult with other team members as necessary. Give and receive constructive feedback
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Nature and Scope
- Position occupies a significant role in mainstream oligonucleotide production. The role requires the ability to exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- HS diploma or equivalent
- 1 year of lab experience required (may be obtained through work or school).
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and willingness to cross-train in multiple areas within the manufacturing work cells.
- Degree preferred but willing to consider candidates with relevant experience.
- Strong computer skills including familiarity with relevant software (Excel and Word) are required.
- Works in a team based laboratory environment. Is required to lift up to 20 lbs. May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties. Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials. Must be able to work outside of regular work hours.
- The above position will require you to work a flexible shift pattern.