Media Prep Lab Specialist
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
This position is focused on service delivery excellence for Unity Lab Services. Specific activities relative to the job function include media preparation. This position will utilize the functionality of systems and applications relevant to the job function, such as: RIMS, chemical management software, procurement applications, and the Microsoft Office suite of programs. Customer interface communication skills are required. It is also expected that this position will have a basic understanding of the performance metrics applicable to site specific activities.
- Follows well defined procedures as outlined by Best Practices, SOPs & Work Instructions.
- Takes direction from Site Supervisor/Manager regarding daily duties.
- Makes decisions and utilizes available resources to meet customer requirements, independently.
- Analyzes/maintains/reconciles various customer and Thermo Fisher reports to ensure customer and Thermo Fisher requirements are met.
- Communicates with supervisor any customer issues or potential problems.
- Listens to customer concerns, effectively diffuses dissatisfaction, and quickly identifies course of action with a goal of first call resolution within established turnaround times.
- Works effectively with a diverse cross-functional team.
- Embraces Practical Process Improvement (PPI) methodologies.
- Utilizes systems as required by job function.
- Represents Thermo Fisher Scientific at all times throughout customer locations, professionally and positively.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Preparation of media orders according to customer request.
- Quality Control testing to ensure product is free of contamination.
- Autoclaving/sterilization of liquid materials as required.
- General housekeeping, inventory management, and organization of media preparation.
- Maintenance of required supplies for media preparation and sterilization operations.
- Removal of cardboard and trash as needed (detrashing).
- Delivery of media orders to end users.
- Participation in routine internal and customer audits.
- Adherence to GLP/GMP guidelines as required.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate effectively.
- Displays a high level of confidentiality for both customer and Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Experience in laboratory setting or services preferred; experience in GLP/GMP environment a plus.
- Detail oriented, problem solver who promotes a team environment.
- Must possess an Associate’s degree in a related field or equivalent work experience
- Must possess a strong desire to serve the customer, and the interpersonal skills to deal with various levels of personnel at the customer site.
- Must possess strong communication skills and customer focus to deliver excellent customer service including maintaining a professional appearance at all times.
- Must possess the operating skills to use laboratory equipment and learn to enter data in various systems as necessary.
- Must be able to use a computer and possess intermediate skills in Microsoft Office suite of software.
- Works primarily at customer locations, in office environment to include cubicles and/or in and around shipping/receiving docks, stock rooms, storage locations and laboratory environments.
- May be required to work independently at a customer location.
- Extensive walking may be required.
- May pass through areas where chemical based allergens may be in use (such as penicillin, tetracycline, etc)
- Must be able to lift, push and pull 30-40 pounds; may be required to lift 50 lbs.
- May be able to use material handling equipment such as push carts and pallet jacks.
- Depending on area of building, personal protective equipment may be worn to include lab coats, coveralls, hood, facemask, hairnets, safety gloves, and safety glasses.
- Some areas require steel toe shoes, bump hats and/or safety glasses.
- Must be able to work overtime as required.
This position has not been approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.