When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Unity Lab Services (ULS), a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers. This Service Engineer is responsible for managing all aspects of field service support, customer relationship management and providing statistical analysis to the customer. The successful candidate will provide complete services on various Chromatography (LC & GC) and Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS) systems including installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualifications. Our ideal candidate will be customer oriented, an advocate for Thermo Fisher Scientific in customer laboratories, and be eager to drive growth.
- Perform on-site installation, repair, maintenance, qualification, and validation of LC and LC/MS systems.
- Provide technical expertise in identifying, evaluating and developing systems and procedures that are cost effective and meet user requirements.
- May be internal or external, client-focused, working in conjunction with Professional Services.
- Must be proficient with the use of customer management software to track service calls, manage parts inventories, and complete job tasks
- Analyzes review and inspection findings to determine source of problem, and recommends repair, replacement, or other corrective action.
- Coordinates problem resolution with engineering, customer service, and other personnel to expedite repairs.
- Provides a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer.
- Develops and conducts training on the safe operations of the equipment and demonstrates skills to trainees, including both team members and customers.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- 3 or more years hands-on experience working with analytical instrumentation, preferably as a Service Engineer
- Effective communication skills and establishing good customer rapport are essential
- Ability to prioritize service requests and produce clear and concise documentation
- Must be available to travel overnight up to 40% within the territory or other areas as required
- Ability to work independently within a customer location
- Proven troubleshooting ability to diagnose and resolve problems on sophisticated electronic, mechanical, and optical instrumentation in a commercial scientific laboratory setting.
- Demonstrated experience managing service territory, scheduling, and inventory.
- Essential Functions and Physical Requirements
- Ability to safely lift 50 Lbs with assistance on occasion.
- Ability to safely lift and carry 25-30 Lbs continuously throughout the day.
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Sciences or related field
- Background in Chemistry or Biochemistry is highly desired
- Proven experience with GC, GC/MS, HPLC, and/or LC/MS a plus
- Certified service experience on chromatography or mass spectrometry products preferred
The territory primarily covers Northern Illinois, with local and overnight travel required up to 40%. This position will be remotely-based within the territory, ideally in the Chicago area.
This position has not been approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.