When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Senior Project Manager (SPM) is responsible establishing and enhancing project management discipline for new product introductions. The SPM will train and mentor other project managers. Additionally, this SPM is responsible for working closely with required functional leaders, both within and outside of R&D to appropriately obtain and maintain resource staffing requirements for all designated projects. The SPM will facilitate project requirements, schedules, milestones and deliverables with necessary stake holders including but not limited to Product Line Managers, Technical functional and resource managers, Manufacturing, Purchasing/Supply Chain, Customer Support, Service, Sales, Quality, Finance managers, other Project managers, and other key stakeholders as the project requires.
- Works with functional and operational managers across the business to direct and coordinate staffing requirements in order to meet project deliverables, communication requirements and the project metrics.
- Responsible for planning, organizing and executing projects within the New Product Introduction (NPI) Process and applies the concepts of the NPI process, as applicable, to Value Engineering, Sustaining and new opportunities. Maintains Gantt charts, project budgets and other project objectives as required.
- Mentors other project managers on the implementation of good project management practice.
- Oversees review of product design for compliance with engineering principles, organization standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Performs Risk analysis. Anticipates problems and forms remediation plans. Addresses all the issues that need immediate action and attention.
- Technical background and education (degree or equivalent) in a technical discipline (engineering, physics, chemistry)
- Minimum 7 years of project management experience or previous management experience directing cross-functional teams.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing new product developments including large budget, multi-year projects
- Ability to understand the financial aspects of larger, technically oriented and multi-concurrent project business;
- Ability to manage effectively in a matrix environment and display credibility in mentoring and forging working relationships project teams and business leadership team.
- Ability to work successfully with cross functional managers; must be able to influence others in a matrix environment and communicate successfully to achieve program or project deliverables.
- Ability to work on a global engineering team that requires flexibility when working across multiple time zones.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to prepare and present program status updates to all levels of the business, as well as customers.
- Familiar with drafting standards, symbols, and engineering terms.
- Ability to manage project documentation records in compliance with ISO procedures.
- Ability to read and understand drawings, specifications and other written and verbal technical instructions.
- Experienced and competent with a broad range of engineering and development skills, including at least one of the following:
- Systems Engineering
- Software Development
- Mechanical Design
- Electrical Design
- Experience utilizing lean manufacturing principles, six sigma or PPI methodologies
- Must be able to travel globally up to 15% of the
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft tools including (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Current PMP certification or equivalent
- MBA or equivalent business experience.
- Knowledge of US government Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR).
- Ten (10) years of project management experience or previous management experience directing functional teams.
- Experience with large scale, multi-year contracting
- Experience managing government contracts.
- Written and verbal communication skills (German and/or Mandarin)
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.