When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
We are searching for a Bioinformatics Scientist to address our needs for assays design pipelines supporting innovative chemistries and focusing on bacterial, viral and metagenomics applications. The candidate will execute the implementation and documentation of algorithms and programs to support assay design, conduct troubleshooting analyses of design strategies and analyze experimental data with the goal to improve the design algorithms. QC activities are key in successful assay designs and part of the activities will include providing tools that allow in silico validation of assays. The candidate will also participate in core team meetings, help define requirements, and collaborate closely with biochemists and molecular biologists in the group.
Thermo Fisher is a leader in the development of PCR based assays. Flagship product lines are TaqMan® , AmpliSeq™, and capillary electrophoresis primers which are used together with our instruments for genotyping, gene expression and mutation detection applications.
• Work with R&D scientists, and product managers to define the requirements of a design pipeline, focusing on identifying and curating target sequences
• Use existing pipelines and tools to design assays.
• Implement new design algorithms taking advantage of an existing infrastructure.
• Critically assess data to identify patterns that provide hypotheses to improve in silico and in vitro success rates.
• Prepare technical reports, product summaries, protocols, quantitative analyses and code documentation.
• Curate existing DNA/RNA sequence databases for periodic upgrades and releases to customers
• Minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and an advanced degree or equivalent work experience; industry experience preferred.
• Degree in molecular biology, statistics, computational biology or bioinformatics.
• Expert in usage and handling of public domain data of sequences and variations. Understanding of annotation data, bacterial and viral taxonomy and naming conventions.
• Expertise in comparative genomics and mapping/comparison tools.
• Experience with primer design.
• Understanding of metagenomics algorithms and tools.
• Experience in next gen sequencing and PCR based assays.
• Linux/Unix work environment, Perl. We are also using Python and Java.
• Industry experience preferred.
• Strong communication skills.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.